Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrates back????

I started a 29g saltwater in early November and the tank cycled and #'s were fine. Then I bought a 55g in early December and transferred 60 lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand over from the cycled aquarium. I also put 30lbs more of live sand. I didn't transfer water from the old tank mainly because it was filled with tap water and used ro water for the 55g. My parameters have read 0 for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and phosphate ph 8.4 area and salinity 1.023-.024. But I have a recent bloom of a bright green algae on the glass that when wiped looks like a fine powder. And I started reading around 5ppm nitrates. Thought it may be the canister filter so I removed the media cleaned it and I have put back in twice in 1 1/2 weeks for a couple hours each time. Protein skimmer running well. Have 2 O. Clowns, yellow head blenny, green Chromis.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trying doing a water changes , and keep your feeding to a minimum right now in till the spike goes away

Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water changes and keep feeding to the minimum in till the spike goes away
Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Not unusual at all to move a tank, rock, stir up the sand and release nitrates. Like the advice given, just keep the water changes up.

By the way, lots of folks would be totally envious of your nitrate level @ 5ppm. You shouldn't worry about that at all IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

I know 5ppm is good but it is the weeks of 0 than a change. My main concern is the algae it comes back within an hour or two of cleaning the glass.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Put some carbon in their and shut down your lights sooner then usual , bc most likely your phosphates
Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

And also put some cheato in their also it eats nitrates and phosphates
Old 01-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Are you using RO/DI water and have you tested for phosphates?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #9

I am using water that goes through the following 5 step process micron filter, uv, ro, uv, carbon filter. Buy it 5 gallons at a time. Tested my water again this morning and ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrates around 5ppm and for the first time phosphate showed up at and it read .25 ppm. I pulled all mechanical equipment out of the tank yesterday and cleaned it really well then rinsed of and let it set and run in a bucket of ro water for a while. Cleaned the glass really well and and suctioned up some junk form the sand bed. Put a filter with carbon in it on the intake side or the canister filter and cleaned the filters in it.

I also noticed yesterday that I was getting some long hair red/brown algae on my live rock. I am do a small feeding today and no lights and when I get home prepare for a 5-10g water change that evening.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is your light cycle, how often do you feed? Was the sand new when you cycled your 29? What equipment did you remove and clean. If you removed too much bb, could cause a mini cycle to account for your trates

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com