Nitrates dropping... berlin filtration begins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After turning off my HOB in favor of berlin filtering, my nitrates have begun to drop.

I was in the 10-20PPM, leaning towards 20 yesterday.

This morning, ammonia and nitrites still zero, but nitrates are in the 5-10 range, without a PWC! I've tested it twice now to be sure.

Honestly, the AP tests are hard to read from 0 to 5 to 10, it could even be in the 0 to 5 range. I may reduce the sample by half and retest (expecting doubled results).

The design of the emperor 400's allows food and stuff to settle in the back/bottom. Lots of it. Adding a filter pad or sponge to the intake cuts the amount of flow going through the filter so much it loses effectiveness.

I've actually removed the filter now, and added a PH in its place. I think I'm going to need another PH though, not enough surface disturbance to keep O2 levels up. That's one thing the old HOB was good for, it created a nice wave, almost a foot across.

They're still from 5-10, but that's a nice drop from a 10-20, without a PWC. No increases at all in nitrates anymore, so I'm hoping I can eliminate it altogether with PWC's.

Next PWC I should be to get them close to 5 or below, and after another, down even lower.

They've been really stable for quite awhile, I've neglected going a PWC for a couple weeks because I've always based the need for PWC on nitrates.

Now I'm just going to put it on my schedule.

Back
Top Bottom