Nitrates HIGH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkee61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Did 10% water change yesterday on 210 . Today,I did water check everything is fine except Nitrates are at 80. Unbelievable. Water check a week and a half ago nitrates were at 5. phosphates at .25. I've tried everything to lower NO3 but what is causing this drastic increase?

overstocking, overfeeding, reduced skimming, something died and is decomposing is just a few things that come to mind.

Do more frequent water changes and a larger percentage until you find the sweet spot

Once a week and 33%?

Hello, you may want to check your filter. Food & waste build up & it will become a nitrate factory if not properly maintained. You probably know this but use tank or treated water to clean & be careful about over cleaning bio media don't want to cause ammonia spike or mini cycle! Hope this helps!

I checked filters,skimmer, nothing died,not overpopulated, feeding quantity is correct. The only thing I didn't check was the expiration date on the api nitrate bottle. expired two months ago. Took water sample to local aquaria the tested (with api) and it came out 0. I made them do it 3 times..still 0. Always something.......

Also check your source water. Make a batch of SW and check that out. You might be adding it to your tank esp. if you use tap water.

Back
Top Bottom