Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I'm guessing you tested your friend's nitrates with the same test kit you're using?
You got it! I though I put that in my post, but I omitted it...sorry. I will pick up a test kit today and retest...

Quote:
Your DI resin is probably shot and should be replaced. The DI should bring that number down to 0.
I replaced the DI resin on Monday. The funny thing is that ever since I got the RO/DI, the TDS reading has always been 3, or at least it has never been 0. I have had the RO/DI for about 2 years now.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The DI resin should strip it down to 0. While 3 really isn't a big deal, it sounds like maybe the TDS meter is a little out of calibration since you just replaced the DI resin.

Dumb question... you DO have the RO tubes hooked up correctly... right? Just thought I'd ask because every once in a while there's a person that has the waste line going into their DI stage and is draining out the good water. That gives you pure water for a real short time, but really blows through DI resin fast!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

How are you testing the tds? I normally start with a new plastic cup and fill that with just enough RODI water to get a reading on the meter. Last time I used a cup that looked new but was not fresh out of the bag. TDS was 25. I rinsed it with my RODI water and tested it again. It was 5. I rinsed again and the third test was 0. Just throwing that out as a possible cause for getting 3 tds on your RODI test.

Your tap water at 140 tds is very good. Mine ranges from 185 - 215.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Dumb question... you DO have the RO tubes hooked up correctly... right?
No, I do know that they are connected correctly. Mainly because the RODI water that comes from the resin is a slow drip, while the waste water is more of a steady stream(but not a lot of water - just noticable more than the other.) I also just connected a RO flush kit two nights ago and confirmed it was connected correctly. But it never hurts to ask or double check because we all make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
How are you testing the tds?
My RO/DI has a in-line meter. It has a sensor at the input (source) line before it enters the prefilter and another one at the line from the DI canister to my reservoir. There is a unit that I turn on and then select a switch that looks at the in and out sensors and displays the results.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Have you contacted the manufacturer of the RODI unit to ask about the reading. Do you have the instruction manual, and if so does it tell you how to calibrate the meter?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrates, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com