Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will try that.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd look at the protein skimmer as telling you something. Skimmers overflow when there is something in the water column that is causing it to flip out. This is evident from it happening on occasion.
Example. I added an amount of snails into my system on Saturday. My skimmer has been tuned to a place where I was happy with it giving me a wet skim that needed emptied every few days. After adding the snails, skimmer overflowing. Still is as of this morning.
You can see a similar effect when a skimmer is 'tuning in'. This is where the oils from production are being washed off...in a really basic way of looking at it.
So, there is something in the water column causing it to overflow. Does it overflow after feeding? How often do you feed? What do you feed?

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd look at the protein skimmer as telling you something. Skimmers overflow when there is something in the water column that is causing it to flip out. This is evident from it happening on occasion.
Example. I added an amount of snails into my system on Saturday. My skimmer has been tuned to a place where I was happy with it giving me a wet skim that needed emptied every few days. After adding the snails, skimmer overflowing. Still is as of this morning.
You can see a similar effect when a skimmer is 'tuning in'. This is where the oils from production are being washed off...in a really basic way of looking at it.
So, there is something in the water column causing it to overflow. Does it overflow after feeding? How often do you feed? What do you feed?
+1

Stopping the use of the protein skimmer because it's overflowing is the opposite of what you should be doing. There is no reason why you shouldn't be running that skimmer 24/7. If its at an appropriate setting and its overflowing, let it. Replace water accordingly until it stops. Having tons of rubbish in your sump seems to be a common practice in the community. It's not needed. If you have an appropriate amount of live rock in the display adding extra bio surface in the sump is pointless. Sometimes I think reefers get so bored with their tanks they all sit around a campfire and think up ways to do more than they should.

Also I feed my tank once a day as much that can be eaten in about a minute. If you are doing more than that, try it for a little while see what happens.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your nitrate is at 160 and do 20% pwc and keep using RO water what do you expect your readings would be? The 20% you just removed is being replenished by the nitrates producing dissolved solids from your RO and your feeding. It leaves you back to your original reading. I would suggest large water changes in successions in 1 week. When nitrate is present in your tank, it can not be removed by a skimmer. Skimmer will only prevent it by removing the nutrients before they turn into ammonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carbon dosing with vodka or 'Nitrate Destroyer' will bind the NO3 and PO4 into long organic molecules, making the skimmer more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Carbon dosing with vodka or 'Nitrate Destroyer' will bind the NO3 and PO4 into long organic molecules, making the skimmer more effective.

While these methods work I would not attempt either without doing research on carbon dosing and what it entails. I'd also use vinegar over vodka as it is safer. You also need a good skimmer for carbon dosing. Not saying don't do it just saying realize what you're getting into as vodka dosing can be dangerous if you have no clue what you're doing.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I set up my big tank end of October last year, between August and now, the nitrate has only just settled down. If it's a big tank, maybe you need to wait a few more months.
Nitrate is well controlled now.

You could simply be over feeding?
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Vodka was effective at dropping NO3 and PO4, but vodka dosing made me having dinoflagellates outbreak. Dinos are gone since I switched to NOPOX.

NOPOX is a better way of carbon dosing.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

To half a nitrate reading, I think you need to cut it with the same ratio.

Eg, 100mg/l > 50% change = 50mg/l
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnr911 View Post
I have a sump that water trickles through filter floss into my refugium which hold cheato along with live rock rubble.

I use a reef octopus protein skimmer that is rated for a 250gph.

I use no other filtration except for the live rock in my DT.

I do have a sandbed of about 3 1/2" which my LFS told me was the best way to go. I do NOT stir it up as I have read that it can cause some major issues so I try and leave it be.

I am to the point of pulling my hair out. I have a 55 gal reef tank that is doing great and I have never had any of these issues. I use the same water and salt. The only difference is I use an HOB instead of a sump.
Trim the cheato.
Filter floss needs to be clean. (Same for any mechanical filtration)

Live rock if it hasn't been properly cured can leach back, was it re-cured by you before start up?
Even dead rock needs pre treating before use.

Ive done a lot of reading on floss use in a reef, 50:50, some really swear by it. Other folks think it a bad move and do not use floss.

(Just ideas?) really hope at they may be of use to you.

Tags
ate, control, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com