Nitrates per week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many nitrates accumulate weekly ?

• 0 - 5 ppm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - 10 ppm

• 10 - 20 ppm

• more than 20ppm

• Total voters

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure we all measure our nitrates at least weekly. So I'm wondering how many ppm everyone gains weekly? This way we can determine if I'm overfeeding, stocking, etc.

How in the ****????? I can't get mine below twenty... and this last week I had it raise 20ppm...... I only feed once per day and about half a small cube of frozen food at a time.... should I feed less or less frequently ??????

Ours used to climb 5 to 10 a week until we removed the filter floss from the filter. Now the skimmer and the live rock do a great job and ours never get over 5ppm. I only have to change the water every two weeks now. I love it.

Maybe I should do that then...... I swapped the balls in the wet/dry for lr rubble.... maybe I should remove the floss....

As for the skimmer it was part of the tank setup... .but that puppy pulls out WAY more yuck than the Seaclone ever did......

I also have two "filter bags" in the wet/dry/sump system filled with activated charcoal.... should I take that out too ????????

The activated charcoal should be fine as long as it is not too old. You should change it every one-two morths or so I think. Make sure it has water forced through it for it to do its job.

If you are still using the bio-balls in the wet/dry I would take them out. YOu can replace them with LR rubble and cover them completely with water to create an anaerobic evnornment. I woul also cut back on the feedings. Feed once every two or three days. That could be a source fo the unwanted nitrates. Checkyou source water as well. I can not remember if you are using RO/DI water or not. The best thing I have found is adding more LR. In a 60 gal. you can have over 120lbs of LR for great bio-filtration. Good luck...Lando

Yeah.... will keep adding more.... I think I might know what the culprit is... going to ask a question in another post though...

I'd pull the charcoal / carbon out after 1 week, max. Maybe less. If you want to keep running it, that's fine - but don't leave the same bag in there too long.

just my 2c.

fwiw - I have 5 chromis, 1 lawnmower blenny, and 1 yellow tang. I'm running a EuroReef ES3-5, 160lbs LR, and 4" dsb.

I consider my tank to have a very low bio-load.

40lbs crushed size 0 and 1 argonite, plus 100lbs southdown/old castle sugar grade sand.

Agree with the earlier post about removing any filter floss. If you wish to keep it in there, thats probably ok, but I'd be rinsing it frequently.

Also not a bad idea to check your incoming water (before and after mixing) for N03... even if you are using RO, or buying it from somewhere you never really know whats going into the tank unless you check it.

I've heard of many people getting NNR without a bed as deep as mine, I think 2" is enough, and even know some folks here locally who export nitrates with LR only, though you do need quite a bit of it.

Another thing that helps is the type of inverts in the tank. Xenia can actually export some N03 as well.

hth

Back
Top Bottom