Nitrates rising and Sulfur Denitrator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skidrow52

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi started this tank in January 2011, 150g tank nitrates has been always 0 but since i got rid off the cyano outbreak using MB7 I can see nitrates raising, using API test kit and JBJ its between 3 and 4 ppm.

I have a Sulfur Denitrator (Korallin) in hand, need advices if I shall start it? Or wait if nitrates start dropping again.

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150 NW
more than 150lbs of live rocks, Seachem's Bio Matrix media in sump

Hi there. Just my opinion, but i wouldnt' go crazy adding things especially since the readings are so low. thats just me though. :)

Hehe ran my mixed reef 150g with 0 `trates for six months and going above 0 is something very disturbing for me :) Well lets see what others advice.

Thank you

Hi there. Just my opinion, but i wouldnt' go crazy adding things especially since the readings are so low. thats just me though. :)

How often are you feeding? At that low a reading I would just hold off and see if a few small tweaks will work.

Hi Melosu58, feeding once a day Ocean Nutrition flakes different every day consumed within 3 minutes by the fish.

How often are you feeding? At that low a reading I would just hold off and see if a few small tweaks will work.

Three or four ppm is not really that much. If you wanted to tweak it to 0 then I would suggest doing what I`ve been doing for 13+ years now. Feeding every other day will help you to maintain 0. All the fish in my tank are between 8 and 13 yrs old. They have not suffered. JMO

Will do it, thanks!

Three or four ppm is not really that much. If you wanted to tweak it to 0 then I would suggest doing what I`ve been doing for 13+ years now. Feeding every other day will help you to maintain 0. All the fish in my tank are between 8 and 13 yrs old. They have not suffered. JMO

I've heard a little about nitrate reactors or denitrators, but how do they work? I don't have issues with nitrates now but just wondering how good they are if I ever do have a problem or want to increase my fish load.

I did some rearch on them and didnt go with them because they have a tendancy to release sulfur into the tank and you have to continually adjust and add stuff to i think.

When you're in town for MACNA I can show you my Algae Scrubber. By that time I hope to be running about 3. It's a lot simpler than a de-nitrator. I feed the fish in my 120 the equivalent of about 4 to 6 cubes per day and no nuisance algae, N=0.

That would be great Floyd! I will be staying in Holiday Inn Mercy Campus, I will be arriving on the night of 7th September. I also need to know LFS in Des Moines which I can visit and shop.

The main one I would recommend is Iowa Pet Foods & Seascapes

Fish Store

And also Adam's Aquatics

Adams Aquatics - Iowa Fish Store - Des Moines Coral Saltwater Aquariums

If you have extra time to visit other stores in the state, there are a few that are a few hours drive from Des Moines but probably worth it, one is Sea of Marvels which is near Iowa City, and the other is Anemones, Clowns, & Corals near Waterloo.

Back
Top Bottom