Nitrates spiked in two tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two saltwater tanks, one 75 gallon which is 3 years old, and a 29 gallon which is 3 months old. The nitrates have spiked in both tanks. In each tank, I have done two water changes. when that didnt work, i cleaned the filter/sump. When that didnt work, I used water conditioner to lower the nitrates but the nitrates are still around 40 ppm. In the past, they have always been 0 ppm. I have my own RO/DI system. I have tested the RO/DI water and the Instant Ocean Salt Mix. Both are at 0 ppm. Cant think of anything different I am doing beside my recent purchase of Marine Snow. Is it possible that it has any nitrates? Or would a better grade of carbon help? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

can you tell us more? what filter system you running? how often are you changing water? how much are you feed? etc... powerheads....

In my 29 gallon, I have a fluval 305 filter and two small powerheads. I feed them some flake food daily and 3/4 of a cube of brine shrimp about every two or three days. Only have a couple of corals in there so I don't add much coral food if any.
For my 75 gallon tank, I have a 75 gallon sump with a coralife super skimmer. I feed them the same way but they get 2 cubes of brine shrimp seaweed daily for the tang and angelfish. There are quite of few corals in there so I add coral food about every three days.
I haven't changed how I have fed them in the last year but don't understand why the nitrates have stayed high after all the water changes. I change out about 12 gallons a week on the 75 gallon and 6 gallons a week on the 29 gallon. What do you think?

I stopped using canister filter because if you don't clean them every week they become nitrate factories, i also feed a 55g 1 cube every other day that has been rinsed to remove nutrients. The nitrates and or phosphates have built up over time. When mine were high and i am talking 160+ ppm. I did 50% water changes till i got to 20 then started doing 15g a week water changes now i am down to 7g a week

The big tank that has a sump seems to be doing better. I will keep that in mind about the canister filters. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom