Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just wanted a opinion. Thanks guys! I will update on how it goes.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

One more thing.. How would you do a water change? I just was told i could empty the sumps but nothing else.. Is that how its done. Im sorry guys im still training and honestly dont have alot to go on.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkybrewster
One more thing.. How would you do a water change? I just was told i could empty the sumps but nothing else.. Is that how its done. Im sorry guys im still training and honestly dont have alot to go on.
You could shut it down and replace the water from there if it holds enough water in it that you want to replace. They should be cleaned every so often, if you have particles laying around in it then I'd suck them out. Also if using any sponges, filter pads or floss when your done draining the water swish them around in the old tank water to keep BB alive. Plus it hopefully rinses it out enough built up waste to lower the trates.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on your setup. At my local petco, the sump is turned off and the tanks are drained to about halfway. Then water is added to the sump until almost full, it is turned back on, and water is added until all tanks in the bank, and the sump, are back to normal level.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok thts what i did. Just making sure. I checked before i left and it went down some. I guess im doing another tommorow.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to hear it is moving in the right direction now. Going forward, you will want to keep an eye on those trates and do weekly water changes. Also make sure anything that can collect waste (poop, food, etc) is cleaned regularly.

Keeping all of that in check will save the store money. Putting corals or fish in bad water is going to cost the owner a lot of money due to deaths.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll go off topic! Your manager needs to be remove from his position and quickly. He is costing the company money by being negligent in not properly caring for inventory which Increased dead lose causing decreased profit Not mention the ludicrous decision to only allow you to do water changes from the sumps. I'm sorry but it's mind blowing that he/she is against water changes! I would love to hear their reasoning for it! Its probably narrow minded and short sighted like being more concerned about a water bill. Prime example of why there are fewer and fewer good fish stores!

On a good note. I commend you on showing that you are an asset to your employer by being able to see and identify a problem. Pro actively look for a solution. Being resourceful in finding AA for advice and strong minded enough to challenge your management and institute corrective action. The pet industry could use a lot more like you!

Sry, just had to say it! Rant ended...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lol thanks. He says that to many fish die. That is why i reached out. He has lied to me before. Aquatics is my job and I want to do it right.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only times a water change will kill fish is a) done improperly such as removing saltwater and adding fresh or b) rapid changes in water parameters such as ph.
Really ought to speak to his supervisor about this.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com