nitrates VERY high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my nitrates are very very high. Ive done water changes and it wnt get any lower. What else can I do?

Nearly 8 weeks ago my fish died from ich. I dnt want to put ne new fish into my tank if this is going to hurt them.

When was the last time you cleaned the filter and vacuumed the gravel? Also what is your tank size and stock?

The only filter I have is my live rock.ive not vaccumed the sand how do I do that?
My rank is 180litre
Ive no fish thry died nearly 8 weeks back due to ich.
I have 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 mexican turbo, 1 turbo snail, 2 emerald crabs and 2 hermits.

Im a bit worri3d I know somethings not right my shrimp havnt shed their skin in a while.

Im quite new to marine so its a bit strange to get used to so thank you for any advice

I'm don't know a great deal about marine set ups but It sounds to me that your having something called die off which I think is something to do with your LR but idk how to fix it as for the sand you have to stir it up and then the debris lays on top because its lighter and you hold the syphon hose about an inch away from the substrate and it picks it up (don't worry if you pick up a little sand it can't be helped) apart from that I don't know :( I hope someone with more experience can chime in and help.

It would help us if we had more info on tank specs, equipment and water perameters.
What's your:
Temp
Salinity
Ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium
Magnesium

I would get a decent skimmer to go on your tank too !

I have a tunzee doc nano skimmer 9002
Hydor pump -flow rate 4000
Filter is live rock

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20 to 40ppm
Salinity 1.024
Temp is 25 celcius

Notsure of magnesium or calcium.

as for the sand you have to stir it up and then the debris lays on top because its lighter and you hold the syphon hose about an inch away from the substrate and it picks it up .

Do not do this. Last thing you want to do in marine tank is stir up your sand bed too much. Depending on depth and age of sand bed and if you have any sand sifters you could nuke your tank.
If you have a shallow sand bed just use a standard gravel vac and put it in the sand directly. Pinch the tubing off before sand enters the tubing to prevent sucking up the sand.
If you have a deep sand bed some say don't touch it at all and others say vac small sections at a time on different days or weeks.

What are you using to test your parameters?

Ive been using test kits to do my ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.
I use a hydrometer to test my salinity.

I wudnt say my sand bed is thick.

How much water have you changed? Since you have no fish I'd suggest doing a bunch of big ones over a week. Like every second day do 36 liters or something like that. It should freshen up that water...

If you have a sand substrate I would not not mess with it. PWC` are going to be your best bet.

I was doing a drum of water per water change.
Great thanks.
I rang my lfs and they told me 20to 40 ppm isnt too bad so hopefully its not too difficult to fix.

I was doing a drum of water per water change.
Great thanks.
I rang my lfs and they told me 20to 40 ppm isnt too bad so hopefully its not too difficult to fix.

How much water in a drum? Where do you get your water from? Do you mix your own salt? What salt do you use?

If you have corals 20 ppm nitrates is too high. I'd find a new lfs.

Edit: if you only have soft corals like mushrooms 20 ppm may be ok but it should still be lower.

Back
Top Bottom