Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would clean out the wet/dry you will be suprised how much detritus builds up. They are nitrate factories for that reason.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

I rinsed my floss, replaced my cotton filter a month ago when the pro problem started. My activated carbon i replaced two weeks ago.

I tend to swap out my carbon every 30 days. My floss gets rinsed and cotton media gets replaced every two months. I didnt know lr can leak nitrates because of tap water. When i use to top off with tap, i would a lil bit of prime to it

Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Personanly I would do away with the wet/dry and get a skimmer. Yep the rock sits in water with nitrates/phosphates it can soak them up. Thats why when you start a new tank the rock gets different stages of algaes on it because its leaching out and there are different stages of bacteria growth that can eat ammonia, nitrites, nitrates etc... I think Prime only really removes chlorine. Tap water is very high in most areas with nitrates and phosphates. You really need something that will remove the detritus, the wet dry only creates an area for bacteria to grow and eat nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheato, purigen or chemipure elite and you will see a reduction.the Marco algae will work well.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
Personanly I would do away with the wet/dry and get a skimmer. Yep the rock sits in water with nitrates/phosphates it can soak them up. Thats why when you start a new tank the rock gets different stages of algaes on it because its leaching out and there are different stages of bacteria growth that can eat ammonia, nitrites, nitrates etc... I think Prime only really removes chlorine. Tap water is very high in most areas with nitrates and phosphates. You really need something that will remove the detritus, the wet dry only creates an area for bacteria to grow and eat nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.
I currently have a skimmer running. I even supercharged it by adding a wood stone to increase even more bubbles. Its working great as i get about 1/4 of skimmate every 2-3 days. Alot more when i had the skimmer working regulary. I have tested the tap water and it shows very low in in nitrites and nitrates, but that dosent mean it has a small trace of it
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Cheato, purigen or chemipure elite and you will see a reduction.the Marco algae will work well.
Purigen and chemi pure, wont that lower my alk levels if i use them?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never heard that, the purigen helps remove nutrients from the water, and chemi pure elite has gfo to remove phosphate. To much at one time can cause the corals to close up cus their use to dirtier water but they reopen. Try the macro and the elite since you run carbon swap it out for the chemipure elite. I run both and macro and mangroves.that solved my nitrate problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
I never heard that, the purigen helps remove nutrients from the water, and chemi pure elite has gfo to remove phosphate. To much at one time can cause the corals to close up cus their use to dirtier water but they reopen. Try the macro and the elite since you run carbon swap it out for the chemipure elite. I run both and macro and mangroves.that solved my nitrate problem.
Thanks! This is a whole new realm for me. So i should replacing the carbon with chemi pure elite and chaeto? Which is better for replacing my carbon, purigen or chemi pure elite? Can i run carbon at the same time? Or best to drop the carbon?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If it was me, I would use chaeto and Purigen. If you are mixing different corals and anemones, carbon can also be useful to help filter out those toxins. Chemipure is a easy to use product that combines GFO with carbon. I tend to use it on nanos, not larger systems.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The best option i think is to run Bulkreefsupply ROX.08 carbon in one reactor and run BRS HC GFO in another reactor.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com