Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree, but using a macro algae like chaeto is the cheapest and perhaps most effective thing you can do over the long term for zero dollars.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda619 View Post

Thanks! This is a whole new realm for me. So i should replacing the carbon with chemi pure elite and chaeto? Which is better for replacing my carbon, purigen or chemi pure elite? Can i run carbon at the same time? Or best to drop the carbon?
The chemi pure is carbon and gfo so if you run it you will have your carbon no need to add any more. Just rinse it off well.the purigen buy a bottle of it and a fine mesh bag add the proper amount rinse and put it were water can run through it. Remember you can always add more little changes slowly are better. Do some research on the purigen really makes your water sparkle. Add your macro and give it awhile then you should start seeing results.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: I ordered my chemipure and awaiting delivery. Also waiting on my lights that i can install right in the back of nano for the chaeto macro algae.

Tested my waters at 40ppm on thursday. Did a 15% water change and it still tested at 40ppm. Took water sample next day to lfs and they tested same

Four days later this past Sunday it tested it at 40ppm . Did another 15% water change and Went to lfs for some chaeto. They also tested 40ppm. According to them the wc shouldve dropped my nitrates somewhat. They requested me to bring a sample in today which i did and it was still showing 40ppm.
Hopefully after i get my purigen they will drop. Thanks all
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

I work at a fish store and customers come in with this problem all the time and I give them poly-filter they've said it works great and I've used it too an it has lowered my nitrates plus reduced my phosphates. What's cool about it is the filter changes colors when removing impurities like hard metals. that's what I would recommend.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If your nitrates are 40 and you do a 15% water change you lowered them to 34ppm i doubt the test kit will see that little of a difference. You have to be aggressive to get them down. When mine were high i did a 50% water change every other day and lowered them
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just read back through . Few things what is your livestock? What skimmer are you using? Have you tested the water coming out of your guys RO/DI before he mixes the salt?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
Just read back through . Few things what is your livestock? What skimmer are you using? Have you tested the water coming out of your guys RO/DI before he mixes the salt?
I have actually done 50% wc and it made no difference when i tested it right after. This even during back to back 50% wc. Weird right?

My live stock is two clown and two fire fish. I have also a coral band shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Almost 2 dozen corals of all types. And one bta.
The skimmer i have is what came with the tank. Its a finnex 30 gallon nano. I have even considered the skimmer cheap so i super charged it with a extra wood stone which now puts out 1/4 cup skimate every two three days.

The water is premixed before i pick it up so i have not seen it in person but he does have a tds meter built in to his rodi. He makes hundreds of gallons for his clients. He uses instant ocean salt
Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan M. View Post
I work at a fish store and customers come in with this problem all the time and I give them poly-filter they've said it works great and I've used it too an it has lowered my nitrates plus reduced my phosphates. What's cool about it is the filter changes colors when removing impurities like hard metals. that's what I would recommend.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Regular

When I do cleaning and dosing for customers and they have this problem it's because there's something dead it just hidden and they can't find it then I find it when cleaning usually hermits or small fish. That might be the problem idk. I would do water changes once a week and measure 3 fingers from your water line and that's how much you take out using RO/DI of course. from my experience it's when people use city water and in the long run they run into problems like this. It's sucks but that's just how it is always use RO/DI
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you did a 50% water change and still showing 40% you need to find the source of the nitrates. How much are you feeding? how often. Have you tested the new water before adding it to the tank? I would def use a different test kit API are known to be inaccurate and read high. Lights will not cause nitrates. can you remove one rock and put it in a bucket of new salt water with zero nitrates and let it sit a day and then test the water to see if it is releasing? Its either something you are adding to the tank or the skimmer not removing enough, or you have a build of detritus somewhere

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com