Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nitrite

What dose this color mean as it obviously dose not match any of them? I tested my cycling tank it is blue and then i tested my other tank and it is this strange color?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01900.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	83805  

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure it's the right test? Looks more like some nitrAtes. I would perform the test again. How are your fish doing?

Was the tube cleaned well before testing. That's not a good color especially it's. It even on the chart.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

+1 looks like a nitrAte test to me.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only have a nitrite and ammonia test kit and used the nitrite test the past 3 days and got the same reading the fish seam fine even the gsp which would have most likely died as he should be very sensitive to nitrites. Ammonia is zero so I have no clue why it turns that color. It works fine and turns blue in the other tank?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that was your TRUE Nitrite reading I think your tank mates would be showing some signs of stress and even death. Can you rinse the tube really well and redo the test.

I believe something may have contaminated the test tube. That CAN'T be the true readings if all your fish are fine and eating etc... I'd try it again.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Fish R friends, not food!

I would make sure then that the test tube is clean. Rinse with ro/di water and roll up a paper towel and get the inside clean and dry. Only other thing I can think of is that the test is old. Grasping at straws here.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
I would make sure then that the test tube is clean. Rinse with ro/di water and roll up a paper towel and get the inside clean and dry. Only other thing I can think of is that the test is old. Grasping at straws here.
x10000000 man that was scary!! lol we think alike.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did buy it from pet-pros which is not really a fish store more of a dog store so it very well could be old as it has no expiration date on it. they copyright date is 06 and my ammonia test i bought from petco have an 08 copyright and exp date so it might very well be very old? I will try again in a few minutes. if they were really high i assume my puffer would have turned black and been dead.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057
I did buy it from pet-pros which is not really a fish store more of a dog store so it very well could be old as it has no expiration date on it. they copyright date is 06 and my ammonia test i bought from petco have an 08 copyright and exp date so it might very well be very old? I will try again in a few minutes. if they were really high i assume my puffer would have turned black and been dead.
Is it an API? Also yeah with those colors something would be dead. Try again but yeah it could be very old.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com