Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Nitrite cycling question

Okay, so I'm a total newbie, but I've been reading up here and have been following up well....

My question is: How long will it be before I see my Nitrite levels start to go down? I've had my tank running for two weeks and have finally seen my amonia level go down to nearly 0 my nitrite level is nearly at 10ppm though.

Here are some stats on my tank:

80gal, 1.022 sp grv., 78 deg F, 25lbs lr, 4-5inch ls base, two one inch yellow belly damsels.

My Ph is 8.2 and my Nitrate levels are only 5ppm

I'm running a marineland 330bio wheel, Tetra 30 HOT, and a Prizm Pro Skimmer.

Thanks for your help

kml23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
do you have liverock in ur tank??? are you using the damels too cycle your tank because if you are i wouldnt think 2 would be enough, i cycled my 29 gallon with 4 damsels.... last time i did my 55 gallon with only 1 and i thought it cycled only to find out it didnt when i put other fish in and i was told 1 damsel isnt enought to get the ammonia level high enough when its cycling.

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
It has only been 2 weeks. Try doing a 20% water change and wait another 2 weeks. Also, please take the damsel back to the LFS asap. Many people will flame you and tell you it's wrong to use fish to cycle, including myself.

Please read this:

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yeah, I have about 30lbs of live rock. I let the tank cycle for a week or so with lr. The fish are totally cool. I've been monitoring them. They are eating and have adjusted well to the new tank.
kml23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
No one can give you a day when the nitrates will go down, every tank is different. What size tank? You may want to take the fish back after the cycle because damsels are mean nasty little fish ans will probably go after the new fish you add to the tank.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah, I cycled with damsels too. I pretty much then had fewer choices of fish to buy because these mean buggers will attack your new tennants.

You can cycle, then donate back the damsels to the LFS or something.

The Nitrogen Cycle is a big and valuable step for you. After this, you're not a newbie anymore!

Just do little water changes to see if you will find a difference. Some people actually use pure ammonia, but I am no chemist so I didn't do that. some people even use cocktail shrimp. But depending on the size of your tank, you might want to consult with the experts around here (not me, though) on how much ammonia level should it reach before you even worry about nitrites.

The nitrates will show up, though, don't worry. It's a cycle, it will end up looking like nitrates all over your test kits.
We live and we learn
AMANIQU77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Let`s hope that we never in the future have to cycle a tank with damsel or any other live fish. As an aquarist you have a responsibility to provide a life that free of cruel treatment.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com