NITRITE spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my water tested earlier and they told me my nitrite is 0.1. My tank is 5 months old. Last week I moved some rock about so I could clean some cyno off the sand. I have one clown and hardly ever feed. Will my nitrite come back down to 0. Not long after water change I got it tested. My test kit is reading 0. Any advice on this. They gave me some balls which is supposed to be full of good bacteria.

The nitrite will go down to 0, but it will just become more nitrates. Since you are having a cyano issue, you are also having an unknown nitrate issue. There is something else going on in your tank that is feeding the cyano and most likely the low nitrite reading you caught.
What kind of water are you using for water changes and top off?

I always use r.o . Nitrate is at 20ppm and my cyno is getting under control . The test I use shows up 0 nitrite. My clowns are doing fine. Is 0.1 deadly?

I hardly ever feed, lights are on for 6hours per day and flow is up. Other then that what else can I do about the cyno? I say I have it under control but every time I do a water change I am siphoning the substrate.(only off the top) starting to get hacked off with this hobby!! If it's not one thing it's another. Your thoughts on this are welcolme lol

It is a balancing act. If you are gaining headway on the issue, then keep going. The plan is in place. I have some minor cyano in my tank right not too. It happens sometimes. As long as you work to address the issue, you'll be fine. Same with this minor nitrite reading, if it was even a true reading. Wouldn't be worried.

Cyano I thought is from phosphates. Obviously you don't have a bioload issue, or over feed. It could be flow, and if so you could even throw a bag of phosguard in and that solves the problem with a PWC

I am adding another power head to my tank. I have also ordered a digital timer which can run all three. I'm thinking if all three are on timers and running at different times or altogether this may also help? Going to post a picture and see what you guys think.

I just have the two power heads either side as you can see.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391960032.893574.jpg

I leave my moonlights on s the time. I do actinic 30min before my 10K leave them on for 8 hours then have my 10K turn off 30min before my actinics. It's honestly a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom