NITRITES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ben useing b onic for corals till 2 weeks ago i use now pickling lime for my corals mix 2 teaspoons to a gal of water and us as top off
i feel flake foods to my fish ( formula 1)
and thats all
Mike

Hi Mike

I had a similar problem with my Nitrites awhile back.
Mine turned out to be a combination of things.
I am running a live sand bed which is not supposed to be siphoned, The flow from your return and power heads is supposed to keep much of the detrius circulating for the overflow to take out to the sump.
I had my liverock packed to tight and had minimal flow through the rock.
I could'nt get to the detrius that setteled, and like most I felt bad for the fish and over fed.
I had to rearrange my liverock and add larger powerheads, add a spray bar to my return to create turbulance on the surface for gas diffusion.
But I also had to siphone my live bed to get rid of all the junk I could'nt get before. along with a few large water changes this along with changing some of my bad habits did bring my Nitrites down.
You may have tried this already but it might help.
Good luck, This site may not be perfect but really it is a great one, we all say whats on our mind from time to time but we are human :lol:

Well The installation of the mirical mud has been how long? I have not used this my self. But a member of our MAS[marine aquarium society] just recently did this to his system[75 gal] six weeks into this, the system looks like crap. he has lost a couple of fish and a couple of corals. Just thought I would mention that.

2 weeks ago i use now pickling lime for my corals mix 2 teaspoons to a gal of water and us as top off

Are you monitoring this for PH spikes?? And how are you adding this to the tank, Drip, auto toppoff, just pour it in?? this is also a recent change for your system. When starting Kalk It must be monitored closely. Maybe the 2 teaspoons per gal is to much for you system. I use 1.5 teaspoons for my 125 gal to maintain balance and It is heavily stocked. If I use a full two teapoons per gal It spikes my PH to high. you want to ensure that when doseing that it doesn't move PH more than .2ppm at any time during doseing. HTH

these r my levals tonight
cal 400
phosphate 0
nitrite .15
alk 3.4
ph 8.4
nitrates 15
ammonia 0

tell me what u guys think
Mike

ahh Well I like the theory of EM over there. this could be possible and I think very logical. It might be a worth a shot :-/

Jacob

em i do have a spray bar behind my rock but dont man its not still the problem im going to check it out this weekend and see if i come up with somthing
u do have a good point there
thanks every 1for ur help
ill kee u posted on things
Mike

I don't know what kind of water you use in your tank, but I thought this might be something you'd like to know. A friend of mine was having trouble with his water (he has well water) and it ended up being a problem with his tap water not the tank. So maybe you should test your water source. Good Luck. Elaine

My friend used a RO/DI also, and still had problems with the water levels. He had to have Culligan come in and adjust his water system. Since that time his levels have been fine.

Back
Top Bottom