No Algea, PROBLEM ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockcrawler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem, My LFS says I am nuts.

I think my tank is too sterile, not ENOUGH algea. It is a 75 gal Reef w/sump, 140# of LR and 80# of Live Sand (makes about 2" of depth). It has been up and running for 10 months now. It went thru the diatom stage. We have gone slowly with adding things. We put in some hermit crabs and snails to clean things up. I have taken out the hermit crabs about 2 months ago and Now have removed the snails to the sump and overflow to let things grow on the rocks a bit.

I have a coral banded shrimp, diamond goby (keeps the sand pretty clean), 2 scooter bleenies, sally lightfoot crab, Misc zooanthids, 3 medium sized plusing zenias (strated as one) growing like crazy, cabbage leather, 3 good sized mushroom colonies, star polyps spreading like crazy, long finger anenome, bubble anenome w/clown. Tube worms spreading like wildfire, and misc other frags.

It just seems that the rocks are too clean. Water always checks good.

Is this a concern for the longterm ?

(This is not meant to be a joke)

"The rocks are too clean"? What exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for coraline (purple/orange/green) algae? Where did you get your LR from? Was it covered in colorful agaes when you got it? If you're looking for purple color, that can be "bought" or "borrowed". If you're looking for hair, cyano or other undesireable algae they're just that. Undesireable. There's no benefit nor place for them in the home aquarium. If you don't think you have enough undesirable algae you could always increase your lighting (or nitrates or phosphates). That works for most people, lol. If you're looking for that "planted tank" look, you may try your hand at some macro algaes that will add a splash of foliage to the tank. I'd prefer to add corals though. A better description (or picture) of what you're trying to achieve will allow us to better guide you in the direction you're looking to go with your tank.

Thanks for the interest.

It is hard to explain, I don't want the undesirable stuff. Coraline is spreading and the rocks look good.

I guess what I am trying to get is a REEF with eventually a lot of corals, just enough small fish and critters to keep it going. But the critters eat algea so I need enough to feed them, No?

I want to make it as natural as possible and we like to watch the small fish and crabs run around I just worry about them feeding naturally. We want lots of corals and the critters just runnning around and thru them, we buy a couple corals a month and sooner or later you won't be able so see many rocks but the scooters and crabs will have to feed on something ???

We are new to this so maybe that's why I'm nuts.

You have what many want, a clean trouble free tank..The crabs will eat left over food and ditrius so you want them in the tank. The snails will find enough algae to live on, Im sure there is a fine layer that you may not even notice growing on the LR.
Everything sounds good so sit back and enjoy the tank.
Feeding phytoplankton for the corals and SB is a good idea.

Yeah we are happy everything seems to be going OK but correct me if I am not understanding how this works.

When we get more corals and several of the smaller type critters scooting around to make things interesting. I would like to have the tank as self contained as possible.

So if some alges grows doesn't that use phosphates and nitrates and put off oxygen and food for the critters. At this point I was just thinking the rocks are too clean.

Maybe I am worrying for nothing ?

Oh well I'll think of something else to complain about. :p

If you don't have undesireable algae growing then you don't have phosphates nor nitrates to speak of. If you want something to put off O2 for the critters then use macro in a fuge setting (on a reverse light cycle to your main tank). My shrimp, snails, crabs come running at feeding time. They get what they need after the fish are finished.

Feel free to move on to the next "problem" to complain about!

OK, jump at me if you wish but I have revived this thread to let y'all know I have solved the no Algea problem.

My water quality is very consistant and in good shape. Colraline is spreading like wild fire.

As I stated, we took the snails and Hermits out. We also started feeding just a bit more.

After about a month things started to get a little "furrier" and a few spots with just a tad of hair. So we put 4 snails back into the tank and things seem to be under control. Very natural looking. I am happy now, (knock on my wooden head)

Now my only problem is the pulsing Xenias taking over, time to snip snip...
:)

Have you tried introducing some of the more desirable type macroalgae? I have some success creating a tank as you describe. Very natural looking IMO.

Have a look at my gallery.

Brad, you got a Nice tank,

That is what I was trying to explain. A little Algae is not automatically bad, and I think I will get a couple higher forms of algae like you have.

I guess my problem is my wife and I have been scuba divers for years and we try to make the tank look "real" and we had too many litte critters cleaning the rocks too much.

I will try and do some pics this weekend and post them.

Hey, Thanks a lot for understanding.

Back
Top Bottom