No coral for my clown is that ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my ocellaris clown for 1 year. He has been hosting on my xenias for at least 11 months. Since I am moving him from my nano to my new 132g will he do ok without the xenias?

My new 132g only going to be a FOWLR tank since I am going to keep non-reef safe fish like the angels and butterflies. If I leave the xenias in there will the angels and butterlies eat it?

I moved the clown over without the xenias he seemed lost and don't know where to go. He keeps hiding in the rock works and since I am sure I have mantis and crabs in there I am worrying that they might get him. Then I put the xenias over he went back to host the xenias again and stay there since.

So my question is if I take out the xenias again will he do ok in the rock work? Will he be ok if he keeps rubbing himself against the rocks (since he is so used to rubbing himself against the xenias)? Or will the mantis or crabs get him easily?

I currently don't have any corals in there just the xenias. After I have moved the xenias I will get non-reef safe fish then.

Any suggestion or ideas will be much appreciated.

But it looks like he got used to rubbing his body agaist something. If I don't give him a corals to rub on and if he rubs on the rocks that will cause injury to himself or not?

There are many people that have clowns in a FOWLR tank. They dont have any problems. He`ll be OK.

But they have it since it was young and never got attached to a coral. Mine has been sleeping and rubbing in coral for one year.

He will be okay. If he finds the need to host something in order to feel safe, he will. Clowns will "host" all kinds of neat things! Like powerheads, spots in the sand bed, other equipment in the tank. I don't think the clown will rub himself on the rocks, they are smarter than that. ;)

HTH

Thanks for the advice turtles. I will move the xenias to my QT for a day or two see what happen.

Our saddle back had an anenome for awhile (till it out grew the tank) he now hosts a crevice in the rock , he does rub on the rock . I have seen nothing that indicates that this is a problem for him. I have not seen any abrasions ect . He just looks pathetic when the lights come on like hey get me a host :lol:
The percs that I have host the filter intake , and power heads , there is a frogspawn in there but they dont look at it :mrgreen:

A clown will host whatever catches his fancy. I had mine host the underside of the Skimmer Return. I though I had lost him for aweek, when I didn't see him out and about, but finally saw him up there. Now he's moved onto a piece of LR to host. I have a BTA in there, but hewon't even go near it.

oh my clown is host obsessed. Whenever I put my hand in the tank, far away and not even close to his xenias, he will swim out and bite me. I mean that's not friendly bite, it is quite hard, sometimes jump to the surface to bite my hand and cause water splash all over the floor and wall. Silly clown think he is a piranha.

You dont need a host for him to do that . In the begining when I had just FOWLR my clown would try to snap at me anytime I put my hand in the tank. He still does even if I`m all the way on the other side of the tank. They do this no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom