Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Like I said though if the rock and sand were cycled or cured then you might not see the spike.
+1 I you don't see one in the first 24, you are good my friend. Just keep an eye on the trates and you'll know how it's doing. You should see a spike either way. Finish off with a water change from there and you'll be good to go. Plus if your gonna add two clowns right away, it's prob good to have a larger piece of shrimp as it will build up your bb.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, thanks for the good advice ! If I don't get 0.25 ppm ammonia, i'll remove the piece of shrimp, then wait 1-2 more day, test all the thing then add some clowns.

Good deal ?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Okay, thanks for the good advice ! If I don't get 0.25 ppm ammonia, i'll remove the piece of shrimp, then wait 1-2 more day, test all the thing then add some clowns. Good deal ?
yup should be perfect
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I do WC after this 24hrs shrimp decaying ? All the water I've put here is RODI + Sea salt + Buffer.

I've put a Fluval C3 filter without the biomedia (Only carbon + filter pad) for initially clear the water. Should I keep it here ?

Will I need a protein skimmer ?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Should I do WC after this 24hrs shrimp decaying ? All the water I've put here is RODI + Sea salt + Buffer. I've put a Fluval C3 filter without the biomedia (Only carbon + filter pad) for initially clear the water. Should I keep it here ? Will I need a protein skimmer ?
No more buffer unless your ph lowers buddy. Try not to add anything unless you need it. Don't do a water change until your done with your cycle, it will only prolong it. Also premix any saltwater and try to let it mix for a few hours at min before you change. I'm not familiar with fluvals sorry. Carbon is good for clarity so that will help with that.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've put buffer because the PH was 7.8... That's a 8.3 buffer, so now the water is 8.3 - 8.4.

I don't plan to make drastic water parameters changes like this when there'll have fish in there, i'm initially ajusting. Is that ok ?

Is it possible the dead shrimp I've put in the tank have some ich ? There white spots on it :s
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I've put buffer because the PH was 7.8... That's a 8.3 buffer, so now the water is 8.3 - 8.4. I don't plan to make drastic water parameters changes like this when there'll have fish in there, i'm initially ajusting. Is that ok ? Is it possible the dead shrimp I've put in the tank have some ich ? There white spots on it :s
Buffer is perfect for the very reason, but continually using it unless your ph is crazy low, isn't really great. It will "snow effect" your tank covering everything in a white powder. I'm pretty sure shrimp can't, not 100% but that would be crazy if safe for human consumption shrimp had ich on it.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol okai I won worry for the shrimp, it's paranoÔa :p.

On the Seachem Buffer bottle it's written to initially ajust the Ph daily with it, then to ajust it if needed all month or 15 days, with very small doses. I wont add any except if PH drop below 8...

At now there's no snow in the water, it dissolve almost instantly
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Lol okai I won worry for the shrimp, it's paranoÔa :p.

On the Seachem Buffer bottle it's written to initially ajust the Ph daily with it, then to ajust it if needed all month or 15 days, with very small doses. I wont add any except if PH drop below 8...
What salt are you useing? Usually the salt buffers the water. Also what type of sand? Aragonite? How often are you doing WC?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just want to show you my tank, that was on the 2nd day when the water was unclear;

Tags
curing, cycling, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com