No cycling occuring in my new reef tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The op had raw shrimp in his tank for days and the smell must be from ammonia. Since he still don't see a spike, that means enough bb have taken effect to process it. However, I agree that the nitrate should be higher to indicate the cycling. BTW, cycling is a continuously process and does not happen only once as some might think. A spike is not the only indication that your tank is cycling properly. If you have fresh LR and Live sand more likely your tank do not need a spike since you already have enogh bb to start with. The raw shrimp had simulated a dead fish and bb did their job.

The op had raw shrimp in his tank for days and the smell must be from ammonia. Since he still don't see a spike, that means enough bb have taken effect to process it. However, I agree that the nitrate should be higher to indicate the cycling. BTW, cycling is a continuously process and does not happen only once as some might think. A spike is not the only indication that your tank is cycling properly. If you have fresh LR and Live sand more likely your tank do not need a spike since you already have enogh bb to start with. The raw shrimp had simulated a dead fish and bb did their job.
He had the shrimp in for 16 hours. Yes he should have a higher reading for nitrate. I'm not talking off the charts here, but it should be detectable. He's reading 0.

I'm fairly new to this hobby and I had the same problem. What test kit are you using? If it's API like mine, I found I was not shaking the test tube enough. When I finally did it right my nitrates were sky high.

I'm fairly new to this hobby and I had the same problem. What test kit are you using? If it's API like mine, I found I was not shaking the test tube enough. When I finally did it right my nitrates were sky high.

Not shaking it long enough for a long period of time can actually ruin it, good idea though! I think this may be the problem

That's what I was suspecting as well. You will get a false reading when not following direction exactly as written. For API nitrate tester the bottle #2 must be shaken vigorously for 30 seconds and after adding there is another 1 minute vigorous shaking of the test vial. The most important thing is to wait exactly 5 minutes before you look at the color. Less than or more than 5 minutes will give you a false result.

Just for giving you update:

I added two baby clownfishs, 2 week after I saw no nitrite/nitrate/ammo spike, all values at 0 on API tests. I'm currently running a 90g skimmer HOB on my 20g tank. It didn't worked for the first week (breakin **** I think) and now it's giving a good brown foam. I found a good palcement for my 600GPH fan. I aimed it on the LR, it reduce rip current.

My clown fish only eat frozen food, they don't like clownfish flake food, but I want them to it this. !?!

I have few spots with growings of green hair algea, I have great spots of purple/pink/dark purple coraline growth. So I bought a 1$ toothbrush then brushed greeen algeas then I did a 25% WC. fishs seems happy.

I just think I'M ready to buy a Zoa and a frag of frogspawn. What do you think of this guys ?

Back
Top Bottom