Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Do you know why the skimmer need to "break in" ?
What skimmer did you get?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

SWC (Saltwater connection) HOT mini skimmer

Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey brotha, did you get that nitrate spike? If you didn't, your not cycled. Also your gonna wanna wait at least 6 months to add any coral or a nem. There's a lot going on and it may be rushed a bit. I wanted almost a year before I added my first anemone and almost another 6 months before coral. Things move very slowly in this hobby and things can change very fast. Test test and then test again before doing anything. 16 hours for the shrimp in your tank may have been too little time. I had the shrimp in all three tanks for over a week. It sounds as if you are going to be adding a high stock to your tank, so the higher your bb is, it will only be beneficial.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll start with 2 clown then wait 1-2 month before I add anything else.

I bought a 50-90 gallon skimmer for my 20 gallon, maybe this will help ? I didn't saw any ammonia, any nitrites, and nitrates are too low to get a read I think... The guy at the LFS was keeping LR in a nasty tank, he said this way the customers don't have to wait for cycle before introducing fish... Like if LR were already cycled... I soaked them in clean SW, then put them in the tank, whey were very clean...

I've put a lot of fine grinded fish food in that tank since beginning, no ammonia spike. I use API nitrate test, maybe for this reason I don't get reading ?

I can't find 100% pure ammonia, I would like to test the strengh of the cycle... But I can't... My tank smelled nasty 16 hrs after I put the shrimp (was a very big chunk of shrimp) that's why I took it out... Was smelling like old unchanged tortle water... Ammonia was 0...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
If your rock and sand are truly live then you might not see a cycle. The beneficial bacteria is taking care of the ammonia source.
That folk said it was possible to buy cycled LR like what I think I've did...

The LFS guy told me they were expensive because I don't have to wait cycle... He explained my he had uncured rock in another tank for cheaper price, but with them I'll have to wait for cycling period.

At first, I didn't belived him, I tought he was telling that to me;
1. to sell more expensive stock to me
2. to sell me fish the day after
3. If the fish get ill i'll have to buy products

So I waited to see if any ammonia will appear, nope. I've trown food, no ammonia, I've trown a shrimp, no ammonia...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Hey brotha, did you get that nitrate spike? If you didn't, your not cycled. Also your gonna wanna wait at least 6 months to add any coral or a nem. There's a lot going on and it may be rushed a bit. I wanted almost a year before I added my first anemone and almost another 6 months before coral. Things move very slowly in this hobby and things can change very fast. Test test and then test again before doing anything. 16 hours for the shrimp in your tank may have been too little time. I had the shrimp in all three tanks for over a week. It sounds as if you are going to be adding a high stock to your tank, so the higher your bb is, it will only be beneficial.
You dont have to wait that long for your average zoas,mushrooms,xenia,polyps, and other hardy corals. I waited about 3 weeks after the cycle in my 37g to add my corals and ive never lost any of them. Nems need a mature tank as stated 6-12 months. I like dosing ammonia as it is easy to find how much you need to dose depending on your stock idea.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it ok to have a 50-90 gallon skimmer on a 20 gallon ? That's what I'm running... I bought it yesterday
Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Is it ok to have a 50-90 gallon skimmer on a 20 gallon ? That's what I'm running... I bought it yesterday
Theres no problem with haveing one Rated larger than the tank size, what type is this one?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

SWC HOT mini skimmer. It's a "clippable" one.

I just bought Red Sea tests, (3 tests for 60$). They very accurate. Are thoses good parameters?

KH: 10°
Ca: 350 ppm
Mg: 1400 ppm

Are thoses values in the good range for corals?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #70

Quote:
SWC HOT mini skimmer. It's a "clippable" one.

I just bought Red Sea tests, (3 tests for 60$). They very accurate. Are thoses good parameters?

KH: 10°
Ca: 350 ppm
Mg: 1400 ppm

Are thoses values in the good range for corals?
Calcium is low.

Tags
curing, cycling, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com