Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Calcium is low.
Is it ok for fish only ? I'll add some before I put some corals in 1 month

Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Is it ok for fish only ? I'll add some before I put some corals in 1 month
Idk to tell the truth, i am having the same calcium problem in my 20 long, its cycling ATM.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #73
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It shouldn't really matter as long as the levels don't go out of whack. Regular water changes will keep it where it needs to be since nothing besides some coraline algae will consume it. This usually only goes out of whack where it causes issues when additives are thrown into tanks without testing, reaching astonomical levels. But for the most part, your fish don't care about your calcium levels.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you had any nitrates yet? That's going to be key to knowing your tank is cycled. You have to have a spike even if your tank is cycled you will still have one, how your tank responds is how you will know.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Have you had any nitrates yet? That's going to be key to knowing your tank is cycled. You have to have a spike even if your tank is cycled you will still have one, how your tank responds is how you will know.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with what you're saying about the spike. The spike happens only when there is not enough beneficial bacteria to consume it to reproduce more bactreria. If the tank has already more than enough bb you will never see a spike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with what you're saying about the spike. The spike happens only when there is not enough beneficial bacteria to consume it to reproduce more bactreria. If the tank has already more than enough bb you will never see a spike.
That's fine you can disagree. I have never not had a spike in any tank no matter how much live rock/sand you use. Even in a well established tank, if you loose an animal especially in a 20 gallon tank, you will have a spike and even more, you should be able to watch it go through all three stages.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post

You will almost always get a spike, unless there is seeded media than you will infact have a spike. Your saying if you have more than enough BB than you wont get a spike, but isnt the reason you cycle to colonize BB in system? Heres a link to cycling if you wanna read more about it...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...314&pcatid=314
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #78

Quote:
That's fine you can disagree. I have never not had a spike in any tank no matter how much live rock/sand you use. Even in a well established tank, if you loose an animal especially in a 20 gallon tank, you will have a spike and even more, you should be able to watch it go through all three stages.
Also there is no reason to have a spike in a established tank, and if your fish dies than it may not be the fish, but the water chemistry itself
Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Also there is no reason to have a spike in a established tank, and if your fish dies than it may not be the fish, but the water chemistry itself
The reason a spike accrues is because of something out of normality in a tank, ex a death of a fish or such. I'm saying he should see a spike in his no3 as in after his bb has processed the nh3. The op is worried about ca levels when his tank has yet to actually cycle. My point is, I would hate for the op to add anything to his tank and it fail and fail fast.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #80

Quote:
The reason a spike accrues is because of something out of normality in a tank, ex a death of a fish or such. I'm saying he should see a spike in his no3 as in after his bb has processed the nh3. The op is worried about ca levels when his tank has yet to actually cycle. My point is, I would hate for the op to add anything to his tank and it fail and fail fast.
Yes i know rotting inside the tank creates ammonia and then blahblahblah, and i think i know about cycling too.

Tags
curing, cycling, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com