Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Yes i know rotting inside the tank creates ammonia and then blahblahblah, and i think i know about cycling too.
So then what are you not understanding about a spike in no3?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
So then what are you not understanding about a spike in no3?
I am understanding that. Its just in a healthy tank you wouldnt have spikes like that.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

The op had raw shrimp in his tank for days and the smell must be from ammonia. Since he still don't see a spike, that means enough bb have taken effect to process it. However, I agree that the nitrate should be higher to indicate the cycling. BTW, cycling is a continuously process and does not happen only once as some might think. A spike is not the only indication that your tank is cycling properly. If you have fresh LR and Live sand more likely your tank do not need a spike since you already have enogh bb to start with. The raw shrimp had simulated a dead fish and bb did their job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The op had raw shrimp in his tank for days and the smell must be from ammonia. Since he still don't see a spike, that means enough bb have taken effect to process it. However, I agree that the nitrate should be higher to indicate the cycling. BTW, cycling is a continuously process and does not happen only once as some might think. A spike is not the only indication that your tank is cycling properly. If you have fresh LR and Live sand more likely your tank do not need a spike since you already have enogh bb to start with. The raw shrimp had simulated a dead fish and bb did their job.
He had the shrimp in for 16 hours. Yes he should have a higher reading for nitrate. I'm not talking off the charts here, but it should be detectable. He's reading 0.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm fairly new to this hobby and I had the same problem. What test kit are you using? If it's API like mine, I found I was not shaking the test tube enough. When I finally did it right my nitrates were sky high.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willba200 View Post
I'm fairly new to this hobby and I had the same problem. What test kit are you using? If it's API like mine, I found I was not shaking the test tube enough. When I finally did it right my nitrates were sky high.
Not shaking it long enough for a long period of time can actually ruin it, good idea though! I think this may be the problem
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I was suspecting as well. You will get a false reading when not following direction exactly as written. For API nitrate tester the bottle #2 must be shaken vigorously for 30 seconds and after adding there is another 1 minute vigorous shaking of the test vial. The most important thing is to wait exactly 5 minutes before you look at the color. Less than or more than 5 minutes will give you a false result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just for giving you update:

I added two baby clownfishs, 2 week after I saw no nitrite/nitrate/ammo spike, all values at 0 on API tests. I'm currently running a 90g skimmer HOB on my 20g tank. It didn't worked for the first week (breakin **** I think) and now it's giving a good brown foam. I found a good palcement for my 600GPH fan. I aimed it on the LR, it reduce rip current.

My clown fish only eat frozen food, they don't like clownfish flake food, but I want them to it this. !?!

I have few spots with growings of green hair algea, I have great spots of purple/pink/dark purple coraline growth. So I bought a 1$ toothbrush then brushed greeen algeas then I did a 25% WC. fishs seems happy.

I just think I'M ready to buy a Zoa and a frag of frogspawn. What do you think of this guys ?

Tags
curing, cycling, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com