No cycling occuring in my new reef tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I just setup a new reef tank. 20g with 20 pounds live rock + 20 pounds fluval live sand.

I'm on the 6th day, and I get no ammonia spike and no nitrite spike... The live rock were in a big dirty live rock aquarium at the LFS, I paid 7$/pounds. The guy said the dirty tank is to keep LR alive and "cycled". I cleaned them by splashing into a saltwater bucket.

On the first day, after I put RODI water and the salt, I've made a mixture of high quality freshwater fish food, water and "Nutrafin Waste Control" to create ammonia. Waste control is fw and sw heterotrophics bacterias that breakdown uneaten food into ammonia.

My ammonia test is working, I get 4 ppm on my GF 1g betta tank

Is it me that's in a hurry, or the cycle should start soon ? Is it possible that's already cycled because of Live Rocks ??

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: Just a taste of...

If your rock and sand are truly live then you might not see a cycle. The beneficial bacteria is taking care of the ammonia source.

In a saltwater aquarium, does the water become cloudy (bacterial blooms) like in freshwater when it's cycling ?

Now my water is crystal clear...

I wouldn't add fish just yet, like any bacteria it needs a constant source to feed off of. I would add a large piece of shrimp and let it sit in there. This will cause ammonia to spike and go through its stages. Once you see all three stages of the cycle, look for blooms. There should be an algae bloom whether it be diatoms, or some sort of physical algae. When are producing a low amount of nitrate after all of that, you shod be ok to slowly add stock. Good luck

See if you can find pure ammonia somewhere. (have heard TrueValue Hardware has it) and dose your tank to 3-4ppm . If it goes down to zero in about 24 hours you are good. If it takes a little longer, you have some beneficial bacteria and are probably safe adding a fish...or you can wait a little longer and get it so that it drops to zero within 24 hours.

Yo tang, I just bought a fresh uncooked shrimp size of two fingers. I cleaned it then dropped it in the water.

For how long keep this in the tank (the shrimp smell very very bad) ?

Yo tang, I just bought a fresh uncooked shrimp size of two fingers. I cleaned it then dropped it in the water. For how long keep this in the tank (the shrimp smell very very bad) ?
When I cycle it's usually in there or 4-5 days and yeah, it can start to smell a little. Do you have a net or something you can put it in? It will start to decompose and break up so it's much easier to contain that way.

I'll let it for 2 days max, if there's always 0 ammonia, then i'll add fish... If there's ammonia, i'll remove it anyway and see how much time it take for it to drop.

I've put a huge piece of shrimp !

Like I said though if the rock and sand were cycled or cured then you might not see the spike.

Like I said though if the rock and sand were cycled or cured then you might not see the spike.
+1 I you don't see one in the first 24, you are good my friend. Just keep an eye on the trates and you'll know how it's doing. You should see a spike either way. Finish off with a water change from there and you'll be good to go. Plus if your gonna add two clowns right away, it's prob good to have a larger piece of shrimp as it will build up your bb.

Okay, thanks for the good advice ! If I don't get 0.25 ppm ammonia, i'll remove the piece of shrimp, then wait 1-2 more day, test all the thing then add some clowns.

Good deal ?

Okay, thanks for the good advice ! If I don't get 0.25 ppm ammonia, i'll remove the piece of shrimp, then wait 1-2 more day, test all the thing then add some clowns. Good deal ?
yup should be perfect

Should I do WC after this 24hrs shrimp decaying ? All the water I've put here is RODI + Sea salt + Buffer.

I've put a Fluval C3 filter without the biomedia (Only carbon + filter pad) for initially clear the water. Should I keep it here ?

Will I need a protein skimmer ?

Should I do WC after this 24hrs shrimp decaying ? All the water I've put here is RODI + Sea salt + Buffer. I've put a Fluval C3 filter without the biomedia (Only carbon + filter pad) for initially clear the water. Should I keep it here ? Will I need a protein skimmer ?
No more buffer unless your ph lowers buddy. Try not to add anything unless you need it. Don't do a water change until your done with your cycle, it will only prolong it. Also premix any saltwater and try to let it mix for a few hours at min before you change. I'm not familiar with fluvals sorry. Carbon is good for clarity so that will help with that.

I've put buffer because the PH was 7.8... That's a 8.3 buffer, so now the water is 8.3 - 8.4.

I don't plan to make drastic water parameters changes like this when there'll have fish in there, i'm initially ajusting. Is that ok ?

Is it possible the dead shrimp I've put in the tank have some ich ? There white spots on it :s

I've put buffer because the PH was 7.8... That's a 8.3 buffer, so now the water is 8.3 - 8.4. I don't plan to make drastic water parameters changes like this when there'll have fish in there, i'm initially ajusting. Is that ok ? Is it possible the dead shrimp I've put in the tank have some ich ? There white spots on it :s
Buffer is perfect for the very reason, but continually using it unless your ph is crazy low, isn't really great. It will "snow effect" your tank covering everything in a white powder. I'm pretty sure shrimp can't, not 100% but that would be crazy if safe for human consumption shrimp had ich on it.

Lol okai I won worry for the shrimp, it's paranoïa :p.

On the Seachem Buffer bottle it's written to initially ajust the Ph daily with it, then to ajust it if needed all month or 15 days, with very small doses. I wont add any except if PH drop below 8...

At now there's no snow in the water, it dissolve almost instantly

Lol okai I won worry for the shrimp, it's paranoïa :p.

On the Seachem Buffer bottle it's written to initially ajust the Ph daily with it, then to ajust it if needed all month or 15 days, with very small doses. I wont add any except if PH drop below 8...

What salt are you useing? Usually the salt buffers the water. Also what type of sand? Aragonite? How often are you doing WC?

I just want to show you my tank, that was on the 2nd day when the water was unclear;
846838DSC04562.jpg

Back
Top Bottom