No filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a post a while back I believe I saw Reefrunner(not %100 sure it was him) say that he has no filter in his tank, but instead relied on an abundance of live rock for filtration.

Is this correct? Is this possible? What exactly would be needed in order to accomplish such a set up? I would assume a DSB, lots of live rock, and at least one PH.

Thanks,
Karl

In a post a while back I believe I saw Reefrunner(not %100 sure it was him) say that he has no filter in his tank, but instead relied on an abundance of live rock for filtration.

It may or maynot have been me posting, but that is pretty much the way I run my tank. Filtration consists of LR, skimmer a Shallow SandBed and a refugium with a DSB.

Check >>this<< for a few more details.

Could i get away with using an aquaclear filter to filter my 125? i dont really wanna set up a sump because that would just be that much more to dissassemble when it comes time to move. I will def have a DSB and LR. And a skimmer.

You could get away with that. The AC filter will give you a place to put GAC every now and then.. It will also supplement the flow in the tank... I would suggest at least 1250 gph flow in the tank though, so, powerheads are going to be needed....

P.S. to last posting,

I do not have any mechanical filtration either except a skimmer once a month....and the occassional use of GAC. LR, LS, and Mother Nature all the way...Oh yeah, I do I guess because of the UV light...

my skimmer is only rated for use in a 60 gallon tank. Would it be good enough for use in a 125? LOL

Prolly get a little over worked. But may work until you are able to get another one matched for size..I would even go for one a little larger than recommended..

Back
Top Bottom