No Fish No Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tito2491

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just lost my tomato in my 20 gal due to ich , now my 6line wrasse has 2 tiny spots - I've been using Kick Ich and it is supposed to kill the cycle of ich. My question is from what i've read ich needs fish to host and reproduce so if there are no fish in the tank and I use Kick Ich will this permanintley kill it?

Ur right about no fish no ich part. U don't need to use Kick Ich when ur tank is fishless. The parasites will eventually starve to death from what i've read.

Good luck. Sorry about ur loss.

The life cycle of the parasite is about 6 weeks. leaving your tank fallow for about 8 weeks is a good way to ensure the parasite does not survive. Moat importantly, begin to QT all new arrivals to prevent the re-introduction of it into your main. Kick Ich is a waste of money and it is never a god idea to treat the main, regardless of claims that is will not effect it. I suggest a couple large water changes and some fresh GAC to clean the tank water. Good luck.

My sixline wrasse is still in there , should I qt him for 8 weeks? He looks to be alright , thanks for the advice

My sixline wrasse is still in there , should I qt him for 8 weeks?
YES, get that fish into a QT and start a Hyposalinity treatment. Forget the quick cures. Copper based medications and Hypo are the only known cures for Ich. Hypo is easier and less stressfull. It does require that you have a refractometer to acurately measure your SG.

Back
Top Bottom