No luck with cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wonder if im doing somerhing wrong.fire shrimp seems very content but i cant seem to keep a cleaner shrimp,acclimated w/drip about 3 hrs water params are fine?? Whats up??

What do you mean you can't keep a cleaner shrimp? Is it dying once you put it into the tank?

Yea i acclimated one a couple weeks ago with the fire shrimp, next day cleaner was dead??

Did it look like it just died or does it look like something got a old of it.

Didnt look like anything messed with it. Really took my time acclimating?

Are you sure it was not the molt? They look like the real thing. Also shrimp are really susepticle to high nitrates. What are your nitrate readings?

Ph 8.3
Calc 420 nitrates 0 phos 0 ammonia 0 temp 78
It wasnt the molt though cause shrimp was still in there when i got it out of the tank.

I use to have problems with cleaner shrimp...they just died...now I can keep them, but they hide ALL the time.
They are very sensitive to proper acclimation...I might extend your three hours to as much as 6. Also, look at the water the shrimp came in as it may be considerably different than yours. Calcium is at its max levels and other reported parameters seem fine. What is KH? They are also sensitive to Ph changes.

i dripped my cleaner shrimp for 30 minutes and then threw him in i've had him and my peppermint shrimp since april and have never had an issue with them. the cleaner molts maybe once every month and a half or two and my peppermint has molted twice since i've got him

I do 2 hour drip acclimation whenever I get cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp. They are all thriving.

Gti_Leo said:
i dripped my cleaner shrimp for 30 minutes and then threw him in i've had him and my peppermint shrimp since april and have never had an issue with them. the cleaner molts maybe once every month and a half or two and my peppermint has molted twice since i've got him

Then what's up with the dead shrimp?

Usually when people say they cant keep something they make that statement after multiple attempts. This was one shrimp... sometimes you can do everything right and it doesnt work.

Are there any other fish in there because they may be getting bullied by the other fish

Dkh is 12. I do have a tough time keeping ph stable usually drops to 7.8 by morn.

Yea it was one cleaner acclimated same time as fire shrimp, fire seems fine. Just added 2 peppermint yesterday so well see how they do. Dont think any of the fish 3 pj cardinals, 2 false percs & 1 flame angel would mess with shrimp? 75 gal w/20 gal sump octopus skimmer. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom