Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is my LFS.
http://features.aroundcarolina.com/greendale/
This is the only place locally I will buy fish and corals. The people who run it actually care about the fish. There prices on livestock are actually only around 5 dollars more than online so they are cheaper if you count shipping. There dry goods are marked up big time so I get all that online.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I think the fact of the matter at most LFS is that they need to make sales to stay in business.

I am lucky enough to have a great shop called the sand bar pet store down here in southern cali. The people there are really informative. The only people I need to watchout for is the old man, and his wife. They sold my mom some kind of blue nudi(diet consists of worms) an orange linka, and a valintini puffer. I promptly returned them for her becuase they were BS sales. Honestly, he owes us like 20 dollars in hermit crabs and snails that the puffer ate. He told us the puffer would not bother any of them. He also stated that the nudi will eat algae. Well I did some research and found out otherwise.

Needless to say they don't try and BS us anymore.

I actually had a clown die shortly after purchase and I bought another one and one of the guys gave me a discount. I paid 13 for a true percula clown, and 13 for a 6 line wrasse, both of which are looking beautiful.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Here is my LFS.
This is the only place locally I will buy fish and corals. The people who run it actually care about the fish. There prices on livestock are actually only around 5 dollars more than online so they are cheaper if you count shipping. There dry goods are marked up big time so I get all that online.
WOW. that looks like an awesome fish store! has anyone seen a fish store like this in so.cal by any chance?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Here is my LFS.
WOW. that looks like an awesome fish store! has anyone seen a fish store like this in so.cal by any chance?
There is a place in fountain valley called pacific reef that has decent stuff. Some of the guys there don't know **** though. One guy told me to buy a couple of yellow tangs.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky@3rdshift
I just recently went to work for my local Petco, and one thing I realize is hardly anyone they hire has SW experience except the managers. this was a plus for me since I actually have some experience. the fish locally seem decent usualy. Bigest problem it appears is mixing fish that shouldn't be.

55 gallon saltwater madness!!!
Work at Petco, , and no I am not responsible for their fish.
Ricky@3rdshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brenden, that's a fantastic looking store! How far are you from it?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am lucky in that I 6 LFS with in 30miles of Orange Beach. I just have to shop for the best price. One will sell snails at $3.00 and the other one $1.00 each. One guy has tangs at 22.00 and ones at 34.00 for same size. I have never had much luck with mail order fish.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

THere is a lfs here that told me those little white spots are just beauty marks the more they have the brighter the fish will get. No Joke the owner actually told me that. I have not been in there since. I travel about 80 miles to get my corals and fish now. I have found a couple nice shops in lousivle KY. So when time allows I just go down south about 80 miles and pick up some great deals on some nice frags.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is about 15 minutes away. Just went there today a got a flower leather. They have nice corals. If I have a fish or coral etc. I want to get rid of she will sell it for me and give me all of the sell as store credit. Not a bad deal.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went to my lfs today to look and see what they had. The guy that works in the sw area showed me the coral beauty that they just got in a few days ago. I told him the tail looked a little nipped on, probably by the clown that was in with it. He told me that I can't have it anyways, because he noticed some coloration on it that looked wrong. He said come back in a week or so and see how it is doing. Not that I was going to get ti because of the tail anyways, but I like the fact that because of something that I didn't see right away, he wouldn't sell it to me. I will go back in a week or two to see how it is doing.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com