Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
no more LFS for me.....

Well, I haven't been to my LFS in a long time because they never have anything I really want, their prices are way too high, and their advice is horrible. I have been ordering everything but salt online for the last 2 or 3 months.

Well, I was bored yesterday and went to Petco....all their fish had ich really bad....particularly a powder blue tang....looked like he was on his last leg...really sad.

Then I went to the other mom and pop LFS in town that is better than Petco. I was talking to the lady there who usually helps me and I thought you might enjoy hearing some of her comments as we talked about ich and other things about my 55 gal.

1. "If a fish has ich in any tank, then somebody is harrassing somebody in there"
2. "You could easily put a lemonpeel tang in a 55 gal....when he gets big, just buy a bigger tank"
3. "Damsels are not aggressive and are very ich resistant....try a neon blue damsel"
4. "You shouldn't keep ordering fish online, you never know how healthy or sick they are...when are you gonna learn?!?!"

Then she realized I wasn't gonna buy anything from her and she left me alone. Needless to say, that will be my last visit there. No more curiously going over to see what they have. It seems like they continually contradict everything I read on here and it just frustrates me, so I'm done with them.

sorry to rant.....

Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow. That would be laughable if it weren't so sad. And typical.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
That's too bad, and quite typical of Petco. I actually have a very local LFS (freshwater only) that is quite good and knowledgable especially for being very small and super-mom-n-pop.

Around Baltimore, MD, there are two other stores within 20 minutes that are pretty good...one is The Aquarium Center http://www.aquariumcenter.com/. They're alright but have been going downhill a bit lately - the store just doesn't LOOK too good, but their selection is alright.

The best one around me is House of Tropicals http://www.houseoftropicals.com/. They have a pretty good selection and their staff isn't too bad - of course not everyone is a saltwater expert - you can't expect great saltwater tips from an 18 year old kid who just got hired. But they have an incredible selection of anenomies - better than even the National Aquarium here in Baltimore. I'll be headed there tomorrow to get my light fixed....

jhoelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry have to vouch for petco once...thers one by long island tahts pretty good....healthy fish, never seen ich on them before. In the matter of fact i know one of the guys...very smart and informative....Never seen a dead fish in a tank.
nycfatcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
That sucks, yet at the same time makes me more appreciative of the stores I have in my area. Other than my aquarium equipment, I buy everything locally just because of the great advice and service that I get, even though sometimes it's twice as much. I am usually as quick as the next guy to save a buck, but it's just that they are THAT good at helping me out and spending time with a lot of questions. If they were complete muppets, it would be a different story. When I start buying corals though, I may look online just due to the fact there is that much more diversity to shop through.
Nøjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
i just started this hobby 3 weeks ago, and have a LFS that i go to for everything. the guy's been in business for about 5 years and i'm guessing he knows his stuff. but there are times where his information and the information that i read on here are quite different. i think the information and advice on here gives the safest way to do something and takes extra precaution.

i'm just curious, do you guys think a guy that's been in the fish business for 5 years might still give bad advice? there were a lot of times where what he said did not match what the people in these forums were saying.
40 Gallon JEBO Salt Water FOWLR Aquarium
27lbs. LR
Fish: 1 Maroon Yellowstripe Clown, 1 Blue Tang
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
i've noticed that you don't usually get just one opinion from this forum. in fact, one of the points of a forum is to get different opinions. sometimes users on this forum will contradict eachother.

there will always be bad fish stores. and there will always be stupid people to keep them in business. you should use the knowledge you gain from here to help you choose a good one. i dunno about you, but i like to see what i'm buying!
15 gallon nano-reef (4 months old)
-pair of false percula clowns
-royal gramma
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not sure exactly how long this mom and pop store has been in business, but I know it's been at least 5 years, and probably much longer than that. Some of their information is just dated, and some of it (as you can see above) is just plain wrong.

I, too, prefer to look at before buying, but even then there's no guarantee it's healthy....and this LFS gives no guarantee at all after it leaves the store.
Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
One thing to keep in mind is that no one here will profit from the advice given. That does not mean that everything a store tells you will be wrong, but rather they will be telling you things that are designed ultimately to get you to spend money, or they will not be in business. Whether that means chemicals sold, or replacement fish due to bad advice, they still are there to make money. Some bad advice is given out of ignorance and some out of hopes of profit. Only you can decide which you got and how moral your LFS owner is.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
I find that hilarious since the Petco by me has the same Ich problem with their Tangs as well and all their tanks are infected. The don't even pass the trouble to label the fish under observation and are still trying to sell them. I complained to their corporate office. You just can't find good places to get your fish nice and healthy except for one place that I go to in Manhattan.

Jasonanatal is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com