Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

No more Lugging RO

So I finally purchased my RO unit from PWC, and its coming tomorrow. Currently I have been buying in gallon jugs and hauling it all up to my apt.

I normally buy 10 gallons per week for my 54 gallon tank. This gives me an (8) gallon per week pwc, and (2) gallons for top-offs.

I've been using a 12 gallon insulated cooler to mix and store the saltwater for 24 hours until the pwc.

My question is:

If I get a trashcan for the water storage, how long will the saltwater be good for if covered? (30) gallons will last me (3) weeks.

Also, what size powerhead should I buy to help with the mixing?

TLTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went the garbage can route and it kept tipping over but I was using 50 gal of water in a 55 gal can I finally went to a 55 gal food grade plastic drum works great I go through 50 gal of water twice a week and sometime more last time grandson visited he thought 3 tanks needed a whole can of fish food so I went through almost 100 gal in two days and of course he did this the day after pwc day lol

mamahuberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a 32 gal Rubbermade garbage can, constantly mixing water. When I do a change, I top it up with salt & RO water. I use about 10 gal every 2 weeks, but keep it topped up & mixing.

I have a 200w heater & Koralia 750 mounted inside. The Koralia is on the bottom pointed straight up and seems to mix quite well.
MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com