Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

No nitrate or nitrite

I have a 25 gal tank with 1 dwarf lion, 1 snowflake moray, and a cleanup crew. There's 20 Lbs of live sand and 8 Lbs of live rock. When it "cycled" I saw the ammonia go up then down. But I never saw the nitrite or nitrate go up. It's been quite a while now, i've had ups and downs with ammonia from feedings and such, but still have never seen any nitrite or nitrate. The guy at the LFS said this is normal because of the small tank and quantity of live rock/sand, is this true?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads
I have a 25 gal tank with 1 dwarf lion, 1 snowflake moray, and a cleanup crew. There's 20 Lbs of live sand and 8 Lbs of live rock. When it "cycled" I saw the ammonia go up then down. But I never saw the nitrite or nitrate go up. It's been quite a while now, i've had ups and downs with ammonia from feedings and such, but still have never seen any nitrite or nitrate. The guy at the LFS said this is normal because of the small tank and quantity of live rock/sand, is this true?
I'm new to the SW having my tank up since November but you should be seeing some nitrAtes and no nitrites. Is it cycled?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Um I believe so....I saw the ammonia go up the down, but never saw any nitrate/trite.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Um I believe so....I saw the ammonia go up the down, but never saw any nitrate/trite.
You may not see it. When I cycled my freshwater and saltwater I never saw either during the cycle. Now I see nitrAtes but never nitrites. On my freshwater water I rarely test for nitrites. And my saltwater tank always shows nitrAtes nothing way high but there present. Ammonia is always stable. Freshwater also...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Considering you only have 8 lbs of live rock, I highly doubt your'e cycled. It's really not too much rock at all. I'd add another 10 lbs or so. Even after feedings, a properly cycled tank should see 0 ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia\nitrites are not normal at all in a cycled tank.

On another note, that lion and eel are pretty big to go in a 25G tank. They need a good 50-75g tank.

I'd think heavily on returning your livestock, adding more rock, and if you want to keep those fish, to get a larger tank.

Hope I didn't come across rudely; I just want your fish keeping to be successful.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are you serious they are tiny.... I know they will get a lot bigger but I can't see these as being too big for this tank.

As for the live rock, this is crazy expensive. 7-9 bucks a pound. Do I really need to spend over 100 bucks on more live rock? Can I just buy regular rock. I remember hearing something about doing that and having the live rock jump onto it...?

How could it not be cycled it's going on 2 months I believe...
Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are you serious they are tiny.... I know they will get a lot bigger but I can't see these as being too big for this tank.

As for the live rock, this is crazy expensive. 7-9 bucks a pound. Do I really need to spend over 100 bucks on more live rock? Can I just buy regular rock. I remember hearing something about doing that and having the live rock jump onto it...?

How could it not be cycled it's going on 2 months I believe...
Rick would know trust me. He's helped me out with my saltwater tank a few times and I can't thank him enough...

Many people use a base rock live rock mix. Put it this way. I have a BC29 and I have about 30-35 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand. I went with a deeper sand bed. I believe the more live rock you have the better for filtration etc. More live rock won't hurt it will just help.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

You need the live rock. Be careful about what rock you put in, because if it's not cured you could nuke your tank. Especially if you were thinking about finding some random rocks to throw in there. You could be looking at some deadly spikes to include PH
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking about the dead coral stuff they sell that looks like live rock only a lot cheaper. Will it turn that into live rock after a while?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dead rock will in fact become live over time. I buy base rock for about $2 a lb online so it's a hard deal to pass up. lol
\
try these guys:

Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com

OR

Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae

Both online places have awesome base rock. After awhile you wont be able to tell the difference with what was live and what wasn't!

Tags
nitrate, nitrite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com