No protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was just curious if there's anyone out there that have a saltwater tank and sump, but do not use a protein skimmer? I heard that it works for some.

It will work just fine. But reef tanks and larger tanks are reccomended to have a skimmer. What size tank are you looking at doing and what are your live stock choices?

Its just too good a system not to use. It removes a lot of gunk that would other wise cause issues. If you have a nano tank and do waterchanges religeously then ok, otherwise at least get a hob skimmer to take those organics out...

when i started on saltwater i had a 125g with just 2 large canister filters and no other filtration with no issues, just very consistent water changes you have to do./

It does work for some people, but for the long run.... bigger the filtration the better

I haven't had a a skimmer on my 110 gallon reef for a while and it seems to me, to be doing just fine without it.

I haven't had a a skimmer on my 110 gallon reef for a while and it seems to me, to be doing just fine without it.

Cool! Do you use a sump system or canister filters? UV sterilizer? Aggressive water changes?

I think the first piece of equipment I'd buy would be the best skimmer I could afford,..as Greg said its your first line of defense

It can be done . I know plenty of people with tanks over 200 gallons that have no skimmer just an algae scrubber . More filtration the better though.

A algae scrubber exports nitrogen waste products. A skimmer removes long chain proteins, like excess food and poop before they break down. They really work together nicely. But if you can remove DOCs with a skimmer, the rest of the system doesn't have to work as hard.

It will work just fine. But reef tanks and larger tanks are reccomended to have a skimmer. What size tank are you looking at doing and what are your live stock choices?

I have a 55 Gallon tank with 20 Gal sump. I run a Reef Octopus 110 in it, but I had just heard stories of people making it work without a skimmer. I just wanted to know "how" that was done/possible.

I have a 55 Gallon tank with 20 Gal sump. I run a Reef Octopus 110 in it, but I had just heard stories of people making it work without a skimmer. I just wanted to know "how" that was done/possible.

That's too broad a statement: "I had just heard stories of people making it work without a skimmer." It all depends on what they had in the tank and for how long as well as their other maintanence schedules and the final outcome of the fish's lives from not using a skimmer.
Most tanks, with "normal" fish stock and invertebrate life will do much better with a skimmer than without. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Maybe. Is the system better off by not having one? Highly doubtful. PLUS, The excessive work necessary by you to compensate for not using one can really be a turnoff to fish keeping. (So I've been told.) Be prepared to do your water changes without fail if you go this route. :whistle:

Just my 2 cents ;)

I have a 10 gallon, 20 gallon, and 120 gallon. All three have protein skimmers, I would recommend getting one. Even the cheap ones will help out a lot, you can always move up. I started with a nano skimmer that hardly moved water and now I have a BH90 HOB Skimmer and it is fantastic.

I have a 45 gallon mixed reef tank and do not use a skimmer, I used to have a coralife. It stopped working so I removed it and my tank has never looked better. I use macro algaes to remove excess nutrients, and do 20% water changes every other week.

Normally, protein skimming is a good idea. Removing issues from the water column before it can decompose is great. In small tanks however, skimming isn't as efficient and can be avoided by keeping with weekly water changes. If a tank is 30 gallons or less, the debate is there on if skimming is effective. I wouldn't go much larger than that in size without a skimmer on one of my tanks.

I am a huge fan of skimming and even over-skimming, which is why I run an expensive unit rated for 250g on my 90g. Every week i empty out dark black skimmate and think if it wasnt for the skimmer that stuff would still be in the water. IME, if any big livestock (Fish or Nems) kicks the bucket, a good skimmer will be what keeps your system from crashing.

Back
Top Bottom