no southdown up north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
:? Hi all. I am wanting to build up my substraight because now that I have gained so much more knowledge from you gurus, (and I thank you for that :D ), I fewel the need to have a dsb instead of the shallow one I have. I started the tank with LS and want to slowly add sand over the next few weeks to increase the bed to about 4" deep. My problem is that I live in upper MN and the Home Depot I have, (1 hour north), does not carry nor do they have access to southdown. I do not want to go to the expence of adding more LS as it is quite spendy in this neck of the woods and I don't really think that would be necesary if I add plain purified sand slowly. Do you?

What other types of sand would you recommend, if any. There are many sand pits for construction around my area and I have not checked to see what grade they have to offer since I do not know if that type of sand could be an option? How do these type of sand effect the balance of my tank.

Thank you for the wisdom.

Howard. :)

Check your HD for Yardright Tropical Playsand. Make sure the bag says "Playsand from the Caribbean" as Yardright makes different grades of sand.

If you can find this, it is basically the same stuff as Southdown.

HTH,

Tim that would work if this guy was any where close to NJ. From his location on his post he is in Minn. Might not have southdown that far west.

Course you could always try to get them to transfer a pallet from 1 store that has it to your store.

Back
Top Bottom