No Water Change in over a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm interested as well... I have been researching low tech/low maintenance/pretty much self contained reef systems.

reefbuilders.com/2011/09/15/simple-reef-tank/

If your starting your first reef than i would do it the usual way, its gonna be complicated dosing everything that could come with a simple water change once a week.

A coral only tank produces very little organic waste, especially if you don't introduce any food to it other than light. Keeping high water quality requires little effort from the tank biology. Add fish and inverts, the balance changes dramatically. I think that might be something to consider when deciding on methods of filtration.

While not the path I would take regarding water changes, I am glad it's working for you. I'm a fan of NY Steelo as well. He has a pretty nice refugium setup, his tank is 90 gallons and his fish load is smaller than yours with two snowflake clowns and a yellow tang. Good luck with your tank and hopefully you keep your yellow tang with an upgrade instead of giving him away. Take care!

How you stablished your tank that well

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to agree with the OP.... from a few of my previous posts I have stated that I do monthly WC.... the truth is within the last year iv'e changed my water 3 time and the last one was about 6 months ago. Currently have full FOWLR tank with quite a few tangs.... semi-decent CUC and a 4" sand bed. parameters are very stable, nitrates are always around 0-5 (from what I can see)and phosphates sit around 0-0.2.

I came across to this link below which I thought may help and give some info on how some people do it. His tank has no skimmer just like the OP does. A macro algae is a good idea to export the nitrate.
Simple, low tech reef tanks can be bliss

That tank IMO is completely different than the ops lol. Yes it has no skimmer but it has two fish and he said he really never feeds it. That is minimal bioload along with tons of macroalgae and softies. That is completely different than a 28 gallon with a 5 fish, 0 macro and a large cuc including sand sifters.

That tank IMO is completely different than the ops lol. Yes it has no skimmer but it has two fish and he said he really never feeds it. That is minimal bioload along with tons of macroalgae and softies. That is completely different than a 28 gallon with a 5 fish, 0 macro and a large cuc including sand sifters.

+ 1 on this

No skimmer is what I am referring to be the same as the OP not the similarity of the tank. My wrong choice of words but the main thing is that it is a low maintenance tank.

No skimmer is what I am referring to be the same as the OP not the similarity of the tank. My wrong choice of words but the main thing is that it is a low maintenance tank.

True Im just playing critic over here lol.

I would have to agree with the OP.... from a few of my previous posts I have stated that I do monthly WC.... the truth is within the last year iv'e changed my water 3 time and the last one was about 6 months ago. Currently have full FOWLR tank with quite a few tangs.... semi-decent CUC and a 4" sand bed. parameters are very stable, nitrates are always around 0-5 (from what I can see)and phosphates sit around 0-0.2.

That's all you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol yea..... but the filtration I have is a bit bigger than the OP... have a skimmer, biopellet reactor, uv sterilizer, refugium, and all this other stuff... all I do is pretty much feed them every day/2nd day and top up the water and that's it

*Edit - sorry, also If I find a dead spot full of fish poo I might clean it up if it's getting too big

Yep just change the subject then :D. In the wild tangs cover miles of ocean a day, and here you are keeping one in a 2 1/2ft tank.
4' or 6' better?keep them all in the ocean. His tank is healthy and so are his fish. Good job I have a friend who has a 75 and does one wc every 6 months. I do one every two weeks on three tanks I enjoy it.

I can't see how this works long term. More than 18 months or so unless your doing a very high percent water change once every two years to say start over again, but even then I can see this working. This hobby has taught me one thing, consistency causes stability. My corals are happy and stay happy because of this. I run a Dsb and a Fuge. Tank is very well established and I've gone as much as 3 weeks without a water change and start to notice my corals getting pissed, increased algae growth, and all around decline. Acros and other sps especially. For me personally, I can not see this theory working.

The reason the OP has "a lot of bristle worms" is because he feeds too much. There is a build up of nutrients in this tank already. It will show itself eventually.
I never tried a DSB, but I also have not read of a person who has kept one long term. Anyone know someone who has been running a tank with a DSB for 8-10 years or more?

Back
Top Bottom