Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Regular

My friend is setting up a 150 gal tank. I don't want to take the tang to the fish store. Believe me he is fine. My friends has be beating me up about this. My friend is an experienced reefer. He has recently moved and is in the process of cycling a new tank. Thank for your concerns.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Greer View Post
[
I agree about the tang, but tube worms do eat fish poop and I can prove it by catching it on a video. I have witnessed it. I do agree that if they too are eating, then they are expelling waist in the process. In the tank I have, it has an over size pump. Nothing sets on the bottom for long. After feeding, when the pump is turned back on, everything is lifted up and pulled through the filter pretty efficiently. What the tank inhabitant don't get the filter does. Now of course I could be lying or just mistaken but my tank is prof. My nitrates are zero, phosphatase are zero, no algae. How can this be. When others clean their sand, and their rock and still have these problems with algae and nitrates, and I don't clean mine, how can you explain this. Let the results tell the truth.
[/QUOTE]

Fish poo, whether it's eaten by tube worms or not is still poo. The tube worms will poo it right back out. The same goes with any inhabitants in your deep sand bed. When you feed the nutrients go into your system.

Roughly fish poo will break down primarily into Nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, and then a whole host of micro nutrients. Assuming there are micros that aren't absorbed then they will just keep rising.

I'd still be really interested to hear about the
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #44

Quote:
My friend is setting up a 150 gal tank. I don't want to take the tang to the fish store. Believe me he is fine. My friends has be beating me up about this. My friend is an experienced reefer. He has recently moved and is in the process of cycling a new tank. Thank for your concerns.
Alright thats good. Glad you understand.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
There should be a quote button on the bottom right where the reply is. I'm on my phone so I'm not 100% sure where it is
Did it work.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Did it work.
Yes it did.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Although it may work without having to change water so often, the trade off is that you spend more time in monitoring your water parameter and dosing chemicals. It is a gamble and it will crash if you don't do it right. For people who doesn't have so much time and has a regular job like me, the pwc is the simplest way to maintain a saltwater tank.
When it comes to dosing, once you know what your tank consumes, then it is just simple math. I spend more time cleaning the glass. I probably spend about five to ten min in a week dosing. I do my testing every two weeks, so you spend more time then I do.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When it comes to dosing, once you know what your tank consumes, then it is just simple math. I spend more time cleaning the glass. I probably spend about five to ten min in a week dosing. I do my testing every two weeks, so you spend more time then I do.
This may be true once your tank is already stable to where you want it to be. Prior to that I think is where you spend so much time figuring out to balance everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

Agree.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not a saltwater guy myself but this is interesting. How long has the tank been set up? How long since the last water change? I would be curious to see the long term effects, not just a year.

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com