No Water Change in over a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may be true once your tank is already stable to where you want it to be. Prior to that I think is where you spend so much time figuring out to balance everything.

Agreed. For me the whole point in not having to do PWC's would be so I could leave the system for sometime and just a friend feed.

To not have to do water changes but still have to do all kinds of testing and dosing the appropriate stuff, etc it's just as easy to pull and replace 5 gallons of water every few weeks IMO.

I have a friend who has been running one for about 6 years mud for about 3, and he changes out his mud every 12 months. I've taken a lot of advice from him, and he does around 25% water change every other week.

It would work.... but mr-x is right... quite doubtful itll last long term..... considering the OP doesn't have a skimmer and probably a few other things missing (maybe). The 2 main reasons I could see why you do water changes is to remove bad bacteria out of the water and giving cal, mag, etc for the corals. But if you have a decent filtration to remove all this bad bacteria by itself without the need to do water changes and have a auto doser or some sort to keep the corals healthy them there wouldn't really be the need to do water changes.....

My concern would be toxins we don't test for. With corals present, there have to be thousands of different compounds dissolved in the water. Flushing those out occasionally seems like a good idea.

Anemone is a good indicator of the quality of saltwater. So if there is any toxin in your tank, it will be the first to show to warn you that you need to do something to correct it. So far I haven't read anything about "bad bacteria" in a saltwater tank. If anyone can share I am interested to know more about it. We usually refer to beneficial bacteria as responsible for the nitrification process. I am not sure of any toxin that will be present in your tank other than the byproduct of stuff you put in your tank. Unless you import unknown chemicals. In that case, having an anemone would be a good idea.

ohhhh sorry.... when I say 'bad bacteria' im referring to nitrates/ammonia/phosphates... all the big bad stuff you don't want in a tank

Every test I do reads zero. All of my corals are growing like crazy. No bad stuff. Tank could not be cleaner. Water crystal clear.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok awesome.... glad its working really well for you.... ive had mine setup for about 2.5 yrs, first year I did constant monthly 25% WC, then I changed to 2-3 months due to laziness and consistently testing the water and barely any signs of nitrates/phosphates and the last WC I did was about 6 months ago and still barely any signs of it.

glad im not the only one that barely does any WC and is working out for them

My concern would be toxins we don't test for. With corals present, there have to be thousands of different compounds dissolved in the water. Flushing those out occasionally seems like a good idea.

That is the key. The toxins that we don't test for. The ones that come from fish or corals or the heavy metals that come from our water. A build up of these in the long term will be lethal
I just cant go along with the op's one year conclusion..

ok awesome.... glad its working really well for you.... ive had mine setup for about 2.5 yrs, first year I did constant monthly 25% WC, then I changed to 2-3 months due to laziness and consistently testing the water and barely any signs of nitrates/phosphates and the last WC I did was about 6 months ago and still barely any signs of it.

glad im not the only one that barely does any WC and is working out for them

What kind of sand do you have?

about 1mm crushed coral.....4" DSB. I've heard it can cause problems will the whole nitrate "spike" in the long run. but prior to the 2.5yr setup, the same tank was setup in my previous home for about 4 years.... with a 2.5" sand bed crushed coral, barely ever touched the sand stil never had a problem with it.

I've concluded that if your filtration setup is really good, you should never really have any problems.

So the 2.5yr setup, I went nuts on the filtration and put a 10ft sump and a few reactors... so far no problem, but still upgrading..., looking into a phosphate reactor and ozone reactor OR150 with reef octopus, then the filtration is complete

Just the one I have on here. I can upload some more from my computer.

Back
Top Bottom