No3 help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mghslowell

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i have a 55g reef with 4 inch dsb. 80 lbs lr established for 4 years. i just did a water change maybe 10 gallons of ro/di water about 5 hours ago. i have a tomato clown hosted to a lta and a mandarin. i have shrooms and polyps. 2 power heads and a cpr bakpak2 skimmer.

i just tested my levels

ph 8.2
salinity 1.023
ammonia 0.00
nitrite 0.00
nitrate 40-80 ppm.

i have a penguin 330 filter with a cabon insert and in teh other tray is a plant i got a form of algea

it looks like a wire mesh ball that youll find near your sink. but its green. i have some in there and in my cpr bakpak2 reef ready skimmer where the bio material should be. my copopod refuge if you want to call it for i have so many copopods. here it is

img_630416_0_fef0d58139bf39265b925978a398e690.jpg

img_630416_1_121e18075c4656455950cd82ad760589.jpg

img_630416_2_af9e2cef7842ef47f19f6f36e12e7ae6.jpg

i dose my tank once a day with Mark Weisse combo vital and feed my fish 2 times a week everything seems happy shroom are in full bloom amenone is full bloom and ginormous.

can anyone help bring my no3 down and why the dramatic rise? last time i did a WC was about 2 weeks ago and i just did one about 15 percent with rodi hmm.

any help will be appreciated!

You sure that test kit is OK? Seems like an anenome wouldn't be alive now with nitrates that high - or won't be soon. Anything in the tank looking weird/stressed? Any bio bale or bio-ball media anywhere? Do you vacuum sand? whould help to keep some sand stirrers in there, Nassarius snails are my favorite.

That green ball stuff is a macro algae called chaetomorpha I think. Google on Chaeto. You'll find it. It shouldn't have anything to do w/the nitrates I don't think. Make sure it doesn't get too dense. Gonna peel some off every once in a while and sell it to the LFS or give/sell it to friends.

Also, what is combo vital about? Never used it. If a food or phytoplankton type thing, it could be a concern for increased 'trates - just like any other overfeeding.

ok so i found the culprit of my nitrate spike it was indeed my RODI water i got from a LFS 8 gallons of it indeed! threw a poly filter in anemones doing great so is everything else. wont indeed do that again thanks !

yeah they did its a huge retailer like petco .. not a comfy lfs i usualy go., i dont think they change thier filter pads. seriously my No3 was nearly 0 then 40 almost 80 ppm with a 20 percent water change with the " ro/di" water .. im sticking to tap or distilled from now on., !

combo vital is foloow the link its a buffer check it out i used to when i wa curing my lr and i have NO die off! its a suppliment .

http://www.marcweissco.com/marine/combo_vital/combo_vital.html

Back
Top Bottom