nocturnal anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyStacyE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put an anemone in one of our tanks last week for a percula, and the darn thing only comes out at night. This tank is set up for 4 bulbs of UV lighting but I am only running 2. One white and one 50/50. Do you think that the lighting is the problem (should I be running all 4 bulbs?) or is he reallly nocturnal? Any suggestions to shed some "light" on the subject is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance...

Stacy

Do you know what type of anemone it is. How big is your tanka nd how long has it been setup? Are you feeding the anemone?

The anemone is a purple tip Sebae in a 29 gal. He could be put into a larger tank if necessary, but hoping not to. He is for our 5 yr. olds "Nemo". We have had him 1 week, and the tank has been set up for over 3 years. Water tests are perfect. I have attempted to feed him twice, (clam) he holds onto it for about ten minutes, then releases it. Water was just tested this weekend.

Depending on what kind of lighting he came from, he may be stressed if you have more which is why it only comes out at night. You mention that you have 4 bulbs but no mention as to the wattage...any idea?

The sebae is definitely not nocturnal though so it will most likely appreciate all 4 bulbs depending on what size you are working with there.

RandyStacyE said:
The anemone is a purple tip Sebae in a 29 gal.
As well as the info requested above, other than the tips; what color are the tentacles. This type of behavour could also suggest the anemone is bleached.

Cheers
Steve

My lighting is set up for 4 bulbs, but I only utilize 2 at this moment-when I had 4 hooked up, it seemed to make no difference. 1 white, 1 50/50 actinic. 24" bulbs. White in the back half, 50/50 in the front (both are attached to the canopy). I was thinking that he possibly wanted to be lower in the tank-right now he is about mid-level. The clown is making is aquaintance with a hammer coral right now--but this still is a concern considering that he was purchased exclusively for the clown. Tips are purple, tentacles are white.

Steve--what is bleached?

Stacy

Most clowns are captive breed or at least captive raised and have never seen an anemone in their life. they have the instinct to find a host but generall anything will do as you're finding with the coral. They have even hosted with flower pots and powerheads.

RandyStacyE said:
My lighting is set up for 4 bulbs, but I only utilize 2 at this moment-when I had 4 hooked up, it seemed to make no difference. 1 white, 1 50/50 actinic. 24" bulbs. White in the back half, 50/50 in the front (both are attached to the canopy). I was thinking that he possibly wanted to be lower in the tank-right now he is about mid-level.
URI bulbs
So are these 75w VHO bulbs or some type of NO? Light intensity for this kind of anemone is quite inportant and needs clarification.

The clown is making is aquaintance with a hammer coral right now--but this still is a concern considering that he was purchased exclusively for the clown.
Don't let it concern you unless the hammer shows signs or irritation or necrosis. Weather the clown is WC, TR or tank bred; it will host to what it see's fit. The likleyhood of a tank bred clown hosting in a non-typical anemone is moreso common than the WC but all will host something. A clown is almost never seen without some type of host in the wild; anemone, coral or other.

Tips are purple, tentacles are white.

Steve--what is bleached?
The white tentacles are an indication of bleaching. "Bleached" means the animal has expelled it's symbiotic zooxanthellae from which it derives most of it's nutrition. Without it, the anemone will be more sensitive to lighting and requires extra care. Until the anemone is able to sustain itself through the rebuilding of it's own algae stores, you will need to very carefully suppliment it's diet. Using some mysis or other freshly minced raw seafood (about ¼ teaspoon) soaked in a few drops of selcon, feed sparingly about 3 times a week. Preferabley with an eyedropper and target feed so to foods gentley adhere to anemone on it's own. If you have brisk water movement, turn off the equipment for a short while to allow the anemone extra time to feed. Depending on the lights you have and the quality of the water parameters, the anemone should start to show some color regeneration in a few weeks time. Typically it will become a dull greyish brown. At that time start reducing the amount of foods fed but continue the frequencey of three times a week. After an additional increase in color (6-8 weeks) drop down to 2 times a week but with the same quantity of food. Keep slowly weining the anemone down until you have decreased the amount of direct feedings to nothing. Determining when will greatly depend on the color and overall health but it could be anywhere from 2-4 months. Do not just cut cold turkey on the feedings. I will become dependant on them and must be gradually reduced as it regains in health.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you so much. Icredibly helpful and it makes sense. When I placed the order for him, he went from one tank, to my suppliers' tank (for 1 day) and then to this one. So he went from 3 diff. tanks in two days. It's very easy to understand his stress, and we will take those special precautions with him now--especially since this does seem to be the reason. We're going to feed him now (the light is out and so is he)...my husband says he is accepting it. I'll be sure to do some more extensive research on this now--unless it only comes from personal experience, because I've never read of "bleaching" before. But come to think of it, when we introduced an anemone in another tank about a year and a half ago, he did the same thing!! It took him awhile to recoop., but he is fine now. Again, thanks SO much!

So are these 75w VHO bulbs or some type of NO? Light intensity for this kind of anemone is quite inportant and needs clarification.

Still remains unanswered, and could be extremely important.

URI/VHO bulbs on an Icecap 660 ballast. Not for sure on the wattage-the extra bulbs are packed away until needed. If wattage is really needed to help out this problem, I'll check it out - let me know.

Stacy

RandyStacyE said:
URI/VHO bulbs on an Icecap 660 ballast. Not for sure on the wattage
Not to worry. If VHO, a standard 24" bulb is 75 watts. For a 29 gal tank, 150w of VHO will actually be fine for this anemone. Time will only tell if it recovers. Just be sure to feed appropriately until it does and maintain the strictest water quality.

Good Luck :!:
Cheers
Steve

Sounds like a beautiful anenome i tried one 2 weeks ago but it didnt make it :(
Good luck and youre tank sounds much more established than mine.

Mr. Marine

Just an FYI for all of you that have helped us with this problem. The anemone is eating well, and coming out a little bit more during the day, where before all he would do is sink down into his hole in his rock. He now stays partially out and "Nemo" has found comfort in this little guy and pretty much abandoned the hammer-it's quite funny!! Thanks again for all of your help-I'm sure he'll make it!!

Stacy

You are lucky.
We have FIVE anemones in our tank (ok, so 2 are really small and 1 is an aptasian :p ) but yet our Tomato Clown guards a large.......
.......rock. He attacks the Mother Sailfin Dragonet whenever he comes near it.

Notmuffy,

Can we say "identity crisis!!" ha ha But still, it's cute! Maybe someday he'll come around...until then, have fun explaining that to your friends!!

Back
Top Bottom