Nocturnal Feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well here is another either silly or difficult question. Are there any corals that feed exclusively at night? I love to watch my tank after lights out. :) I know u guys think I am crazy... at least that is what my wife thinks. :lol:

Keeping on the subject of night. Have any of you seen or tried those "Moonbeams" to light you tank at night? If not check them out here http://www.brightlights-tech.com/ and let me know what you think.

Back to the Tubestraea they are non-photosynthetic, therefore they open at night, mostly. Once they are in your tank they will begin to open during the day, when you feed the rest of the tank. On the Sun Corals each polyp must be fed or the polyp will die. IME, they are not a coral for someone not willing to spend alot of time feeding their corals, or for the begginner.

*I am not trying to imply either about you, just a disclaimer for anyone that reads this.*

i read that you can feed sun polyps by simply putting finely ground food in a turkey baster and shooting it at them. i dont see how this would be much more difficult than caring for any fish. i mean, they both have to be fed right? :roll:

Such precise care isn't that bad for me to swallow. If you could see the way I care and feed that Ritteri I have you would probably think I was crazy. :lol: Besides the Sun polyps are there anymore that your aware of?

As for those lights I still have yet to find anyone that has them or has used them. Still looking! :)

michealprater said:
i read that you can feed sun polyps by simply putting finely ground food in a turkey baster and shooting it at them. i dont see how this would be much more difficult than caring for any fish. i mean, they both have to be fed right? :roll:

Or not so finely ground food. They are an LPS coral and can eat larger bits of food. Where the work and experience comes in is making sure that each individual poly is fed, as well as enticing the coral to open. Most are reluctant to open when first placed in the tank, you must then find a way to stimulate them to open, so they will feed, they do not feed when they are closed. IME, I have found the biggest difference between a successful reefer and an unsuccessful, is knowing gerneral care requirements, before purchasing the animal, and then being able to provide those requirements.

Salty said:
Besides the Sun polyps are there anymore that your aware of?

Most of the non-photosynthetic corals will feed mostly at night, but the simple fact is that all the corals will feed when there is food in the tank. Corals and fish both are very adaptive creatures, and will quickly develop the Pavlov's dog response.

if you have spawning pair of shrimps will help to feed them.
I have pairs of skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp.
they produce pretty good quantity of prankton(spelling) for corals and ect to feed. still you have to feed them, but it does not have to be often.

This is my case. it might be different for other people.

Back
Top Bottom