Noisey filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my Eheim 2126 (external canister wet/dry thermofilter) for about 7 months now, and it's been silent.

But, over the past couple of days, it's started making an annoying sort of "rasping" sound, like a light buzzing, but only when it's taking water IN. When it's pumping water back out, it's fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Could be the empeller is taking a dump! That is if it has one? Most of the time that is a cheap part to replace. May just be dirty ? :roll:

Taking a dump??

I'll open it up and have a look inside - how long can the filter media stay in the open air, not in water?

It depends if that filter media is your only source of biological filtering. If there is no bio balls or any thing. I would say 30min to 1 hr would'nt hurt.But if there are bio balls or somthing of the sort then just change the media when you have it open. The media may only be for mechanical filtering just to grab the big stuff? :mrgreen:

Just had a look/fiddle inside and it's a bit better but sort of comes and goes.

Anyone any experience with this filter? Nothing appears to be badly clogged up.

There's not much dirt etc. inside, certainly nothing that could be clogging it up in the main part.

The only thing is, the wet/dry cylinder which is on the outside of the unit, has lots of dirt etc. stuck to it, and this moves up and down. I guess this could be clogging it up and preventing it from moving up and down at times?

In the manual, it says never to open the chamber of the wet/dry though - does anyone have one of these filters could could help me get rid of this buzzing and perhaps clean the filter without destroying all of the bacteria? Occasionally, the filter will make a VERY loud sucking noise for like an hour, then stop and be ok again. So much so that it sounds like the filter has stopped working - but then it's absolutely fine again.

Can anyone help? I'm concerned the filter could stop working all of a sudden.

Back
Top Bottom