Noisy overflow! Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gal tank (used - was given to me). It has a built-in overflow in the corner. I just set everything up in the garage for a test run. Pump and sump worked just fine. Problem is that the water goes into the overflow and falls nearly 2 feet, which is quite loud. There is a 1" tube that comes up a few inches that the water goes down into to go to the sump. My idea to make it quieter is to extend that with 1" pvc so that the running water level in the overflow is just below the water level in the tank. This way the water will only fall an inch or so.

Has anyone done this? Do you foresee any problems with this? Better ideas? Before I got it, it was setup as wet/dry with the bio balls in that chamber. I don't want to have wet/dry since so many people advise against it for a reef.

Outstanding! Kudos to you (I still don't know what that kudos system is for). I was on the right track but didn't think of the submerged inlet to make it even quieter. I can't tell from the pics if the top of the thing is capped or open to the air. If anyone happens to know, please speak up.

I believe that the top cap is drilled. Look around a bit on the durso stand pipes page. It might be under the modifications section.

Back
Top Bottom