noisy PH's....what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two small powerheads in my 10 gallon FOWLR.....one is a cheap Red Sea powerhead and the other is a Hydor Pico. Both run about 100 gallons per hour and do a nice job of circulating the tank. Two problems.....one, they are both sometimes very loud....usually at the same time of day (very weird) and the cord on the Red Sea will vibrate way more than any other part of the tank. Also, I'm having a hard time getting the suction cups to stay put; the other day one of them slid down and rearranged a lot of sand! Any suggestions on how to shut them up and keep them in line??

Try cleaning the impellers. I use a Q-tip to get the gunk out of mine. I am not fimilliar with either of those, so hopefully someone can help you a little better.

I super glue my power heads to glass magnet cleaners. They stay put and you can drag the power head around and place it where ever you want.

Hydors are junk IME I had 2 that did the same thing yours is doing , it seized up and fryed ... With that said I did keep mine clean and only had them 3 weeks before they fried like southern chicken... I got the 2 mini jets 606s and love em ...
As for the suction cups if you dont want to do the magnet trick (lots do that ) you can reset the suction cups by placing in boiling water for 5 minutes ... as for the glue to magnet you can get thin ones at walmart use hot glue and place then as said you can move them to where you need them HTH

jamal-188 said:
I super glue my power heads to glass magnet cleaners. They stay put and you can drag the power head around and place it where ever you want.

That`s a great idea.

I use the magnet mounts as well but a vibrating PH on a fixed magnet with nothing to absorb the vibration makes a lot of noise. I have some modded Maxijets that vibrate a bit much on occasion.

For small PH's, I like the mini maxis. The suction cups will fail though.

That is a good idea and I would never trust suction cups. If they give out when you are not home it could be a real mess.

ellisz said:
I use the magnet mounts as well but a vibrating PH on a fixed magnet with nothing to absorb the vibration makes a lot of noise. I have some modded Maxijets that vibrate a bit much on occasion.[/
quote]

Agreed, I have a few of the modded MJ's and a couple are kind of irratating. You could possibly put a thin piece of rubber between the inside magnet and the glass to help dampen the sound... not really sure what or where you could get a think peice of rubber but I think I'm going to look at HD this weekend and see if I can't come up with something.

jamal-188 said:
not really sure what or where you could get a think peice of rubber but I think I'm going to look at HD this weekend and see if I can't come up with something.
How about using a "husband". They are the rubber things you use to open stuff like jars, you know, when they stick....

great rubber to use is the carpet liner or shelfliner material as well
How about using a "husband".
that just sounded wrong on so many levels
I never knew they had a name :lol!: :mrgreen:

dont forget about squishing the squirmy things, thats my number one job at home.

I actually bought one of the sure grips to try out. They have rubber grommets or feet on the corners. Might be able to use something like that. I know they make small ones for speakers, etc. so they don't scratch your furniture.

IME the salt water meseses with the adhesive and they dont stick worth a thing

ALong the lines of the magnets you use, where do you get those? I saw someone mention the other day they buy theirs at WalMart? And they were cheap? I looked at the ones from the fish stores on line and they were like $25...

The Sure grip is not that cheap but I bought one to try out. It was $25. You can use any aquarium style magnet. I have used normal magnets and sealed them in Silicone but the eventually the silicone failed. It might not have been thick enough or maybe the magentic field caused an issue. Not sure.

For those that don't want to fool with magnets, you can use acrylic to make hangers. Acrylic strips, a lighter and some nylon bolts/nuts will make a nice mount.

If I remember correctly the ones from walmart are like 5 bucks in the pet department .
They are black and do not float so that makes them thinner ...

I just like the idea of super glueing the P/H to the magnet. However I have never seen magnets or even glass cleaners like you use on an aquarium in WalMart or any other place. Has anyone else?
Also I have Maxijets and Seio pumps. Will these still be able to be glued on magnets or glass cleaners?

fishman said:
I just like the idea of super glueing the P/H to the magnet. However I have never seen magnets or even glass cleaners like you use on an aquarium in WalMart or any other place. Has anyone else?
Also I have Maxijets and Seio pumps. Will these still be able to be glued on magnets or glass cleaners?

today i noticed a pack of "buisness card magnets" at home depot. i might try making a magnet to my desired thickness with a few of them and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom