Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Noisy Sump

Whats the best method for cutting the water noise down in a sump. I have a oceanic sump running dual overflows and just today installed a protein skimmer inside the sump adding more water noise. Before I added the skimmer I could close the lid on the sump and the noise was not bad but now since removing the lid it's a LOT louder than I want as far as the water noise goes.
And then theirs the noise of the skimmer pump,it's a turboflotor skimmer and the pump is really noisey as well.
I'm going to be adding a chiller,metal halides, and a calcium reactor pretty soon and I have the feeling with all this stuff running together it's going to sound like a lawn mower running under there so I would like to cut down the noise "IF" possible as I go along. Thanks

Old 12-18-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do the Oceanic sumps have a drip tray?

When I did my DIY sump I have the same problem, lots of noise in the sump due to the water flowing in. I've since replaced my DIY sump with an Americale SR100 (includes drip tray) and it's all but queit. Only noise I hear is my AquaC Remora now.

I don't know why the drip tray made such a big difference, but I had heard it would and it did indeed.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for responding, yes it has a drip tray and thats honestly where most of my noise is coming from, I have a mag 1800 pump and their is a lot of water dumping in the sump. I have thought about bio ball in the lower chamber where the tray drops the water but I havnt done it as of yet, I have to do something soon as this Niagra Falls noise is driving me crazy, lol
I did try installing a couple sponges under their but that didnt help much,
Old 12-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

how about going sumpless? check out this thread on another board...

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...84#post1040984
2ea Maxi-Jet 1200 & 2ea Maxi-Jet 900 PH
Captive Purity Refractometer w/Calibrator
LCD Digital 250 W Titanium Heater
48in Coralife 4x65 watt PC
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
Approx. 200lbs Sand (3-4" DSB)
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Please feel free to advise me!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about adding a bunch of lr rubble and small frags in the sump. That way, the water would not be splashing as much. If you pile the rocks high enough, the water would just trickle down the rocks and no splashing. I've done this with my converted wet/dry into a sump and it seems pretty quiet. The only noise I get is from my overflow. I get that "toilet flushing" sound and it while take some time getting used to.

Anyway, here's a pic of a sump with lr in it. (Lando, hope ya don't mind but I used your picture as an example. And very nice nano btw, love the stand!! )
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=all&page=2
I think you would minimize the splashiing sound by piling the lr above the water line. HTH!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to try the lr I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon if the lfs had any lr and rubble. Might even throw in a few bio balls as well for kicks, grins and giggles, LOL Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine is packed full of bio balls. The only disadvantge to using bio balls is the maintenance. I'll have to clean/rinse them at least once a month. I know many people discourage the use of bio balls but I believe if you keep up with your maintenance you should not have a problem.

I really think this is what is keeping my sump quiet as well since the water is just "trickling" down.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i don't know your set up. I made my own sump. Anyway, I had the same problem. I don't know what a drip plate is but i went ahead and changed my plumbing around to a submerged discharge. It still was loud and I had to add two elbows and now the discharge is still submerged but facing up and the noise is gone.
Maybe this helps.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I collected the outflow of the skimmer into a pipe, which extends down below the water line and releases the outflow underwater. This reduced the splashing noises without any maintenance.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a lot of bubbles too before i put the elbow in place.

Tags
noisy, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com