non photosynthetic corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
If a coral that is not photosynthetic (sun coral and chili coral in particular) do they need anything besides regular feeding and good water quality. Basically what I am asking, can they flourish with NO lighting? Also, what are some other types of non photosynthetic corals?

They will do just fine under regular fluorescents, neither need light at all. The two main concerns with keeping a tank like that are being sure the needs of the animals food supply are met and water quality. More commonly the feeding end can be accomplished through diligence and properly researching the food types of a given species. The downfall is in doing so, the amount and varying types of foods needed also become a concern for water quality and nuisance algaes. Where you leave off at the lighting, you need to make up in filtration/export and maintenance.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2002/feature.htm

Cheers
Steve

I did not meet the feeding requirements of my sun coral (I went away for a week) and it never recovered. I would recommend you have plenty of time to dedicate to feeding.

i really cant recommend keeping non-photosynthetic corals. Its a tough bargain and requires lots of time and research to accomplish!!

Feather dusters are not corals, but yes they do not need light.. They do need a mature tank and the tank should be feed, they are filter feeders.

I love my sun coral. I used to target feed it three to four times a week but now it is used to coming out at tank feeding time and I only target feed it once every couple of weeks as supplimental feedings. Doing great.
Aren't gorgonians and tubastrea non-photosynthetis also???
the tubastrea is a sun coral. there are both outter and inner-reef sp. of gorgonia. While the outter-reef (Gorgonia flabellum) tends to prefer deeper water it still depends on lighting (deeper penetrating light) as an energy source. They are less colorful (brown, deep reds and purples) then the inner reef sp. which tend to be more orange, yellow and red, probbally due to the higher light intensitey.

Back
Top Bottom