noob question but on my mind... drilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there any special things that need done to a fishtank to set it up for saltwater? like drilling holes or anything? im new to aquariums and know less than 0 about saltwater so i thought i would ask. i thought i read somewhere that holes have to be drilled for plumbing. the more i see them the more my interest is piqued... you guys have some beautiful sw tanks...

Drilling is for sumps and fuges which are not required. There is an alternative to drilling which is the HOB overflow box. Once again, a sump/fuge IS NOT required.

I say spend a year or two doing research, that's what I did and I'm still not an expert. xD

drilling is the "fail safe" way, whereas HOB overflows are the easier and more "convenient" to use. (at least IMO)

If you can get a drilled tank, go for it. and if you don't mind the risk then you can drill your own. HOB overflows won't lose a siphon if set up properly.

It's really just what you'd rather use lol.

Thom nailed it. There's benefits in having a drilled or a Reef Ready tank, but it's not necessary at all.

Awesome Ty! I have only had 3 tanks, all fresh water, all hardy fish (chiclids), but a growing part of me is really envious of the beauty of your saltwater tanks:)

SW seems more interesting than FW, all the little inverts and stuff that you can get totally beats a couple of neons or tiger barbs (not that those aren't cool too. xD)

SW seems more interesting than FW, all the little inverts and stuff that you can get totally beats a couple of neons or tiger barbs (not that those aren't cool too. xD)

No I totally agree. The range of life Ina sw tank seems much greater to me. The difficulty from my understanding is that much greater too though. Again from my understanding.

If it was me I would just decide if you want a sump or refuge and then if you do then just get a HOB overflow. I did that for 7 yrs befor I got the tank I have now.

Back
Top Bottom