Nori question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I called an Asian store in my area and they have "raosted" nori seaweed. is this what I need to feed my regal? I asked what the ingredients were and the package says seaweed...I assume this is what Im looking for to feed???

:2gunfire: Thread hijacking in progress.

Is Nori any better than the Two Little Fishies, or is it just cheaper? I'm feeding my tangs the Red Seaweed right now, but was planning on looking for some Nori locally.

I have another question as well while we are on the subject. I tear off a peice about 1.5 x 1.5 and soak it in all of the vitamins and such. Then after it dries, I put it in the clip and into the tank. HOWEVER, can someone tell me how you get this stuff from just being a cloud in your tank? What I mean is my fish will pull and tug at this stuff on the clip and thus it breaks off into small peices and floats all over the tank. I have tried folding the peices, rolling, etc and have not found a good way to keep it from just ending up floating in peices in the tank. Got to be a better way.
Also, I paid $2.79 for the 12" x 12" sheets and there are 10 to a package. Not to bad I think....

I roll mine up real tight. I only let about 3/4 inch stick out. Once they get it down to the clip, I take it out. You waste a bit of it, but at the cost of the stuff, it no big deal.

Mike

I tear a 8X11" sheet in half. I then fold the half shee into 4ths. I then clip this into the clip and place in the tank. The nori is usually eaten before it breaks up to much. Of course I dont soak mine though.

Is there a reason that you dont soak it?? Also I have experimented a bit in the past few days. I have found that folding it 2 times to where the ends end up inside the clip. This seems to work a little better.

I don't soak mine either. I think sometimes we make things too complicated, but that's just me.

Two reasons I dont soak.

A) I admit it I dont have anything to soak the nori in.
B) Presoaking the nori will only speed up the breakdown process. I have found the nori holds together adding it to the tank dry like you described. Having the folds out into the water and the unfolded ends held by the clip. My fish will attack the nori within seconds of me taking my hand out of the tank when adding it.

If you want to soak food I would soak flake or add some additive to some blender mush prior to feeding.

My fish will attack the nori within seconds of me taking my hand out of the tank when adding it.

Mine don't wait that long. They start on it as soon as it hits the water. The Tang makes it hard for me to stick the clip to the glass. Impatient....that guy will eat all day lond if I let him..kinda like my oldest son...no bottom.

Mike

I forgot to add the fact that I soak the nori as it is laying out on a napkin...I then let it dry and soak up all of the stuff then clip it. Seems to work so far. I can tell Im going to have to start doing more water changes though as my one a month isnt going to cut it. That stuff is messy any way you look at it!!

Yeah, I have a little bit of a problem too with it. The Naso Tang will take big chunks off and it gets all over. I usually net or siphon up the small pieces after they are done, which don't take very long.

Back
Top Bottom