normal clown behavor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 2 false pecs for my 30 gal 1 week ago. For the past two days one of the clowns will swim around normally for several minutes and then always goes to one certain spot in the tank and lay down in the sand. He will stay there for about 5 minets and then get up and swim around for awhile longer. I have looked at him with a magnifying glass and his body looks fine, no spots or anything. I checked everything ph 8.2,nitrates, nitrites, ammonia both 0. 1.021 spec gravity,tank temp 79. I have a penguin 330, 2 400 maxi-jets and a uv filter so I think there is plenty of water flow. When he rests it seems like he is breathing fast. Any ideas?

1 week ago

This may be the problem. All fish react differently when moved. If all your levels are ok then I would not worry for another week or so. I have seen clowns not eat for 10 days to 2 weeks after "relocating". He may be stressed a little from the move. Watch and keep us posted.

Very normal, kinda funny. Think of them as puppy dogs, very playful and comical. They will settle down and start acting more "fishy" per say when they feel more at home. Make sure to give them a home i.e. a cave or somewhere to hang their fins, lol. Usually takes them a few days to relax when you get them home, try keeping the lights out for a while too. They might even pair up, also, give them an anenome to play in or something like that, mine seem to love this big bubble tip mushroom I have, they even like the green star polyps, but it gives them a feeling of security to have one to cuddle into, put it right next to wherever they decide their home is. good luck with them.

Concur, as long as it is still swimming and ther are no visible signs of stress I think you are fine. My clowns definately have their spot inthe tank a rarely venture very far from it except for feeding times.

Are your clowns eating yet? If not try soaking your food in a little garlic to get a feeding response out of them.

From what I remembered when I first got my CB ocellaris she did the samething and would lay down on the same spot in the sand.

They both ate good the 1st few days but seen board with the omega one flake food now. I'm going to my lfs his weekend and get some frozen brine shrimp and spectrum pellet food.

Its pretty normal my clown did this for a few days so I got a second clown and an anemone. Those two haven't left each others side since I added the second one. I love it. Hopefully I can get them to reproduce :lol:

Maybe he originally had a anenome host and now he is lonely and lost without it!

stumpy said:
They both ate good the 1st few days but seen board with the omega one flake food now. I'm going to my lfs his weekend and get some frozen brine shrimp and spectrum pellet food.

I would avoid the brine since it is the equivalent of feeding them twinkies(very little nutritional value). Try some mysis shrimp for protein instead.

i definitely think you have to give things a little time. All my fish had an adjustment period. Good Luck!

yeah, forget about the brine and get mysis shrimps instead. Frozen Formula1 is also great since it's has a mixture of ingredients for a healthy diet. I vary the food I feed my percs each day so they dont get accustomed to eating one thing and for a healthy diet.

Back
Top Bottom