Normal flourescent strip okay for LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there,
I was thinking of taking the Perfecto hood and light of my FW FO 20 gal. and putting on a SW 20 gal. until I get other lights to turn it reef with corals, anemones, etc. The bulb is an average normal bulb, nothing special, just for the fish to see. Would that work on a SW tank with live rock and live sand? I know fish just need the light to see but will LR and LS be okay under this? Do they need a different bulb? Thanks in advance, Wolf

That would work until you get better lighting, but you will be greatly limited for new growth on your LR. Also, any existing life on the LR will have difficulty living under Normal Output Flourescents. BUT, if you get good lights on the LR, after some time the growth will all come back. That's what happened to me. I got LR from a friend under normal florescents, and when I put it into my tank it pretty much "blew up" with life after time. So I guess you could say you're just in a "holding pattern" until you can get good lights. IMO, the growth on LR will come back when you do get those good lights...

HTH...and good luck!

NO lighting will be fine with the LR. You will still get all of the biological benifits of the LR but will not see any coraline algea growth that requires higher lighting.

You can buy blue actinic and 10,000k daylight bulbs to go in normal flourescent fixtures. That is what I have on my fowlr and previously had on my reef with shrooms and polyps.

Back
Top Bottom