Normal for a skimmer to stop after feeding frozen foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
So just today my new skimmer start getting skimmate in the collection cup. it is two days old. I put a bit of frozen food in the tank to feed the inverts, almost instantly, the foam in my skimmer died. What is the reason for this? Does the food break the the surface tension of the bubbles or something?

Its crazy but absoultly anything you add to the water has the potental to affect the skimmer. Even the simple tank maintance like putting your hand/arm in the tank can affect the skimmer. The mechanics that the skimmer counts on is fairly sensitive. As a way of showing this if you add just a few small drops of a 'slime coat enhancer' you will see in very short order your skimmer going crazy. Over the long run the addition of the food should increase skimmer output even though it might be ever so slight as there would be more disolved solids in the water as a whole.

and new skimmers tend to be very touchy for the first week or two anyways. R/O top-offs tend to slow my skimmate collection...feeding mysis shrimp twice in one day will increase it.

Back
Top Bottom