Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what are frags? If they grow, do our natural reefs grow and expand as well? Or are we preventing that?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Conditions prevent the reef from recovering. Most of the coral species grow like weeds if allowed to. A "frag" is basically a cutting, like you might do with a plant, that can be fastened to a small rock or piece of plastic. That frag will then grow into a new piece of coral. The mother coral, should just keep growing.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Fragging is a little piece of coral that taken off a larger piece and then placed on a frag disc, plug or rock (im not sure if other people use other things). That way coral doesn't have to harvested it can just be fragged and many people can have reef at home.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One of the biggest things you can do is check your laundry detergents, dishwasher liquids, etc. Most detergents have phosphates which are causing massive algae blooms all over our water ways, choking out natural plant life.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jam-is-on View Post
A new reality show! "Reef Wars!"

Seriously though, didn't mean to hijack the thread into the cosmic debate. I have recently come in to the hobby and have fallen in love with it. Reef keeping is still down the road for me and I would like see them well taken care of!

What are the most common threats to our reef systems?
Not sure if I missed it, but just wanted to add, one of the most detrimental threats to the reef systems is the acidification of the ocean. I forget the number, but a large percentage of the CO≤ released into the enviroment gets absorbed by the ocean. This lowers the pH of the ocean, which interfers with the corals ability to get the calcium and minerals they need from the water.

When scientists talk about reefs only surviving in aquariums, I believe thats the effect they expect to cause it. If we are able to reverse it later to the point where coral could survive in the wild again, then the home aquariums could be a treasure trove of species for re-introduction.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jam-is-on
Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but what are frags? If they grow, do our natural reefs grow and expand as well? Or are we preventing that?
I'm pretty positive it is possible because while I was in cozumel Mexico for vacation a few years back they had started a program with the local high school where as a project the students would says culture a piece of coral then drag it and place the drags back into the ocean where they had doubled the size of an existing reef. Or that's what the tour guide told us
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are several groups that are reseeding reefs. They build artificial reefs out of hydraulic concrete, or sink old ships and then if the natural environment doesn't take over, they can reseed with frags.

It is kind of weird karma that the oil derricks in the ocean, that threaten the natural reefs are themselves artificial reefs.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats a great idea. my tank is boring because i will only keep CB fish and corals would love a Hippo tang but untill there captive bred i wont do it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com